Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
No one is going to rain down on you. It is a frustrating conundrum, really, and the world's finest minds haven't got a clue.

But ultimately, I don't think it'll work to pay people not to have kids. People are going to have sex, and if they're healthy and fertile, conception will result.

If they really want to get the funds, the abortion rate would go up. No one, not even those who are pro-choice, think that's the best solution.

The only solutions to change people's behavior externally are carrots [[more incentives, social programs) or sticks [[requiring welfare recipients to use BC, more aggressive removal of children from dysfunctional homes). We don't have the cash for the former, and we aren't cold enough to do the latter.

Besides, if working class or poor black single mothers were not allowed to procreate, a lot of very productive people I know wouldn't be here... including myself. My mom and dad were not married when I was born. They married when I was 2. It's a good thing that the state didn't choose to prevent me from being conceived, in my opinion... I kinda like being alive, you know.
English, I like what you have been saying and I respect your words. However, I must take exception with the highlighted sentence above. I agree, people are going to have sex, but they could be smart and have safe sex.

Many of the young men in Detroit go from girl to girl and are simply sperm doners. No telling how many children they have by many different girls [[notice, I don't say women because I think it's always young girls who have these babies...babies having babies).

Why isn't birth control [[a simple trip to the drug store) a part of this scenario? Is the sex just performed in a drunken or drug stupor and nine months later another baby pops out? Do these girls want a baby because the government gives them money for every child produced? Something needs to be changed within our welfare structure and these children shouldn't get paid for having babies. I for one, don't want my tax dollar used to pay children NOT to have babies.