I'm surprised no one has posted about this. My apologies if they have.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011061...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

So there has been a liberal Catholic conference at Cobo, and a conservative one in Livonia [[I think the localities alone are an interesting distinction, as cities are usually more liberal than suburbs). Predictably, the conservative one was endorsed by the Archdiocese of Detroit [[or should I say Archdiocese of Livonia?) and the liberal one was blasted by the archbishop.

I have a couple issues with this. First of all, yes, I am a liberal Catholic. I am still a Catholic. The Church is neither traditionally "liberal" or traditionally "conservative." The Church takes a variety of positions - strong stances for social justice and against the death penalty and the war - traditionally "liberal" stances as well as taking other "conservative" stances.

And what the hell is the problem of these people meeting at Cobo and TALKING? As far as I know, they're not denying the creeds, papal infaliability, or any of the infalliable proclaimations of the Church, so what is the damn problem?

And why isn't that lousy archbishop condemning all the conservatives at the Livonia conference that support the death penalty, the wars, and cutting social programs?

It is a shame that within the past couple decades the leaders of the church have started equating Catholicism with conservativism. They seem unaware that Catholicism predates these very recent political terms and even transcends them.