Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Just for fun, while sitting here typing this I quoted a hypothetical 2012 Ford Fusion in the 48227 zip code on Progressive.com. Progressive quoted me a 6-month policy for $3,047.50. Over the course of a 5 year auto loan I would pay $30,000 for insurance and roughly $21,000 to buy the car with a loan rate of 4%. Pause. Just in case we aren't on the same page yet let me translate... The car insurance costs more than the car. In that light, I think Detroiters who choose not to buy insurance are making rational decisions about irrational insurance rates.
If you lived in my zip code [[33064) or several zip codes around here, Progressive would not even insure you. They just non-renewed my niece who lives with me. They dropped her agent too [[the agent hooked her up with another insurance company). Progressive just will not not sell auto insurance in this zip code [[and surrounding ones) because of the very high rate of auto insurance fraud in personal injury protection [[PIP). There are too many crooked chiropractors with arrangements with ambulance chasers in the area. Florida insurance laws apparently allow companies to boycott zip codes.