It was 1984 and I had just retired from the DPD. Arrived three days after retirement in Las Vegas. After getting settled in, I applied at the Wackenhut Corporation, security providers for the Nevada Test Site, for a position.

Test taken and passed, and background check completed. Two weeks later I was notified to be at the Las Vegas office for transportation to Mercury, at the Test Site, for a physical. Bus ride is a little over an hour to the site.

Once inside the highly secured area, had the first part of the physcial, and was given a voucher for free lunch and sent to a quonset hut where the cafeteria was. Grabbed some grub and sat down at a table, only to notice the guy opposite me was a dead ringer for Dr. Edward Teller -- same heavy set frame, with eyebrows a robin could build a nest in. As my mind wandered, I thought to myself, "that's gotta be the guy that pushes the button.........."

Spooky interlude. Anyway, then I had the physical agility test, and got on the bus back to Las Vegas.

The day after my return I was offered a position as Security Director of The Fashion Show mall on the Las Vegas strip which I accepted. A week later, Wackenhut called offering the Test Site position, which I then turned down. But it sure made for an interesting experience.