There was a ligit offer to purchase and redevelop Tiger Stadium also, and as soon as it looked like we where gaining support the proposal was rejected and they rushed to finish the demolition.

Its the same issue here, here is what I feel is going on...

#1 If DPS was so concerned about the safety of the students and creating a green space for the new Cass Tech, the school would have been torn down 5 years ago.

#2 Illitch is about to build a new Hockey arena a few blocks away. With the rumors going on to cover I-75, and the economic growth that is about to happen in this area if the stadium gets built, the land that Cass Tech is sitting on is prime real estate.

#3 If a Hockey arena gets built a few blocks away, the area around the new arena should look clean. An old Cass Tech school that looks run down with no windows would create a negative impact on the new hockey arena.

#4 We see the developer has included a check with a $20,000 deposit, the question is what is the proposed purchase price of the building?

#5 Im going to speculate that the building purchase price is right around $500,000-$750,000 in its current condition. Once you get possession of the building, your going to spend another $7-10 million dollars to renovate it and turn it into lofts.

If you sell the building to a developer, all he is going to do is board up the windows and wait to see what happens with the Hockey arena. As soon as construction starts on the hockey arena, the developer is going to tear down Cass Tech himself, clear the land and sell it for several million dollars for a quick profit.

Personally I think its Tiger Stadium all over again, the city is going to tear it down and there is nothing we can do to stop it no matter how much money we have or how many people support saving it.