Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
Word of advice to Michigan: Attract businesses, create an economy that won't turn its back on you when the incentives dry up. Certainly it created new jobs, and helped local business....but in a way that was inconsistent. I can't imagine anyone thinking they'd stick around forever, and some of the big promises of studios and production offices had never been fulfilled.

It's difficult for me to say this, considering I have friends here in Illinois and Michigan involved in talent and scouting for films, and I know their jobs are heavily reliant on the state's ability to attract filmakers. Yet they've been looking for better, higher paying jobs all along which tells me they knew this would be short lived.

Yes, the freelance aspect is a fact of life that you need to keep in perspective when you work in this business. I belong to two unions, and that is a costly thing in itself but then a lot of folks in freelance work situations need to get their own coverage plans etc... So I keep my head above water by working on commercials and outside of film as well. The workweeks are longer on big pictures when you are on pre-production so if you work 4 or 5 months, it is worth the wait between jobs.