Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
I don't personally think Cobo has every looked anything close to beautiful or desirable, and I can't even bring myself to say that the original configuration was 'less ugly'. In a theoretical more healthy and booming Metro Detroit, I'd love to see the thing rebuilt from the ground up. Externally, Cobo's a pig, and it won't matter how much she's gussied up or stripped down. The most one could hope for given the current structure is for a spectacular internal layout when the region returns to good health, and that's about it.
While I would agree that today Cobo looks like a pig, thanks to the butchering of the facade in the 80's, the photos of it in it's final conceived state at opening makes sense with the arena portion of the building.

It was clad in white marble, as the columns of the arena are still today. When you look at how it was built to blend in with the pylons, the Veteran's Memorial, and Ford Auditorium, it would be simple to return it to it's original facade configuration and it would make sense, and should be celebrated as a great example of mid-century modern design.

One improvement they could make, even today, is to illuminate at night the granite panels/spaces between the white marble piers of the arena- that would really define the exterior.