So, we are trying to come up with a name that instills trust for a new retail concept we are planning on launching in Detroit. In an attempt to also reflect the location, I was looking for a name that included "Detroit", somewhere in the name. Oddly, I have found this to be a horrible idea that I can't seem to make work, as the name Detroit is proving to automatically prove to include a negative connotation.

It seems many products, groups, and places are dropping the name "Detroit". of course, everyone remembers that East Detroit [[suburb) changed it's name to East Pointe, and Detroit, Oregon decided to change it's name as well. More so, locals businesses seem to wish to drop the name as well. One seldom claims to hail from Detroit, instead they are from a named suburb or neighborhood [[Royal Oak or Corktown). Detroit supporters often call the site by new names, such as New Detroit or the International Straits of Detroit.

I While I am having an issue with using the name [[I probably will not be able to, at this point), I have found that there is also a negative attitude towards being located in Detroit, as well. Investor confidence seems to be a real problem, as the name Detroit = bad investment.

I am curious what others think of this, and what others have done to overcome this issue.