Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default What my city lost.

Detroit is not the only city which sometimes is governed by loons. Here's an example of what my city lost. I know, it's not a big drama like the Statler or Tuller but this also was a hotel. The only thing that remaines today is the name of the building. It was replaced by an office structure. It's still called Klanderij.
    This hotel came down in 1972. It was replaced in 1976. Both pictures are more or less from the same angle. As a reference point, the building in the background is still there.

Back then...

....and now.

People are still scratching their heard why this had to go. A supermarket chain bought this hotel and knocked it down to erect a shop. It never came and the lot became a vacant scar within city center for three decades. It became a.... parkinglot. But the footprint was just enough for about 15 cars.

After it was gone they made a discovery in the archives. The foundations of this building were of midieval times!! [[The facade was added more recent than that.)

After the supermarket plans fell through, the chain forgot to calculate parkingspaces [[go figure) they had their eyes on this object, The church of Saint Beneface. Now I'm not Catholic but I sure wound miss this building if it's gone. Thankfully the plans did not materialize.

However, this chuch did have it's moments of tragedy. During a major storm the top of the tower came crashing down. It was replaced with a new one. [[The restoration of the tower in the bing maps picture is unrelated to the event.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-21-10 at 02:40 PM.