Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Mich Con Storage Tanks

I searched old threads, and did some googling but couldn't come up with any locations or images.

The one I'm most familiar with was at their Lynch Rd. outpost where French Rd curves into Lynch Rd. I got to go up on that one as a kid, it had a lighted Gas is Best! sign on the side. I want to guess that one came down circa 1960

Another one I'm aware of but never saw was at their Coolidge outpost on Schafer nr. Schoolcraft.

I also know they had one at the "Station B" outpost. I'm not sure, but I believe that was very near the Ambassodor Bridge along the river. That may have been an expanding and contracting tank based on gas levels. Whether that was Station B I'm not sure, but I do know it was very near the bridge. I've got home movies of the Gasco Softball League playing at the ball diamonds there circa 1940. You can see the bridge and the tank in the background of the movies.That one definitely dated back to the days of Detroit City Gas or earlier.

Other possible locations would be their outposts on Tireman Rd. not far from the old Awrey Bakery, Noble St. right behind Carls Chop House, and their two stations at Allen Rd. & Greenfield across the river from the Rouge Plant.

Love to see some images, particularly of the Lynch Rd. tank. Yeah, I got old family connections to Mich Con.
    Last edited by mikefmich; November-14-10 at 03:52 AM. Reason: correction