Winter is coming and it is gonig to be a cold one this year. Ever sit in you warm bed and listen to the wind whipping outside and wonder what it would be like to be outside trying to sleep on the street?

I have submitted a proposal to the Pepsi Refresh Project to try to get $5000 to purchase supplies for the homeless in Detroit to try to help them get through the winter. I am teaming with the NOAH project in Detroit for distribution. I am doing this as a service project and will receive no personal compensation for my work.

The idea is to buy military surplus cold weather gear and supply these items to the homeless. Why military surplus? Because it can be cheap as it is sold in bulk, it is designed to be rugged enough for combat situations and therefore can withstand long periods of exposure better than store bought items, and it is designed for extreme weather conditions. My [[admittedly unscientific) calculations indicate that $5000 would approximately translate into $65000 worth of goods.

Every winter, there are people in Detroit who lose their fingers and toes to the cold and there are a few who freeze to death. This is a horrible way to go. Not to mention frostbite which causes skin to become even more sensitive to the cold and causes even more pain when it gets colder out.

If you would like to help, please go to Purchase military surplus sleeping bags to keep the homeless warm/dry | Pepsi Refresh Everything or go to Surplus4Good and sign up to vote. It doesn't cost anything, they won't spam you, and you can vote once per day.

Currently, the project is stuck at number 45 and only the first 10 receive funding, so give it a boost!
Thank you!