Since the foreclosure crisis began I have heard the occasional rumor that when an eviction was done by the bailiffs that they would help themselves to anything valuable left in the home. I always just thought they were just rumors until today. I live in Palmer Woods where unfortunately we are having to deal with foreclosed homes more and more. Recently there was a home that was in immaculate shape and got caught up in the whole foreclosure limbo so we were never quite sure what was going on with the home. In August this home was attacked by strippers who went in with blow torches and sledge hammers and yanked the copper pipes and wires from the home. Despite the damage the house was still fantastic. Today an eviction was carried out and the bailiffs came and removed the kitchen appliances. These were very new, very expensive appliances, ie. a subzero fridge worth probably 10000 dollars. The neighbors thought it was strange to have the appliances ripped from the home and put out in a trailer but because they were officials from the court the neighbors could really not do anything about it. About 10 minutes after the court officials left a van pulled up looked around and then left and came back shortly with a UHaul truck. The two men driving these vehicles then proceeded to try to load the range top stove into the UHaul. Thankfully our neighbors stopped them and managed to get license plates and strangely enough the guys gave their names and one of them showed a neighbor their drivers license. These guys claimed that they were there to pick up the appliances for the former home owner, but when the home owner was contacted he had never heard of them. One of the neighbors googled the names and both guys were found on facebook. One appears to be a police officer from Ecorse. So it looks to us like it was all planned so that the bailiffs would come and remove the appliances from the home and leave them in an unlocked trailer for their buddies to come snag a short time later.
I am wondering if other people have seen this happen in other parts of Detroit or places in Wayne county.