Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
I've never been a City employee. But, I've worked with enough rank and file people in other sectors to know that there is absolutely no substitute for experience. Hell, there are a lot of DetroitYes'rs that are rank and file that come up with better ideas than what I hear coming from the Mayor or City Council.
Ah. I'm sure that you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
What happens now in desolate areas? Crime. If you create more desolate areas, what are you going to creat more of? Crime. And if the plan is to not expend City resources, in this case, police, what's going to thrive in those areas like never before? Crime.
I don't see it that way. How is this supposed to work, you're going to drive there in order to get mugged? I don't see where the victims come from. Besides, if you're operating a profitable business there, like a farm or a really cool paintball park [[sorry, just came to mind, but not my cup of tea), there'd be security. By not wasting police resources on all that empty space, it can focus on places where people actually live. Or to flip that equation around a little bit, the people who are currently living in these desolate stretches and currently don't get the same police protection someone in downtown gets can enjoy that same, erm, high level of police protection. Those sole-houses-on-the-block are going to continue to see things go downhill so let's call a spade a spade and cut our losses.