Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Ford Hiring Based On Race

Hi All,

First off, I would like to introduce myself since this is my first post. I'm a small business owner living in Westland and I have a sincere passion for the City of the Detroit. I wasn't born here [[Louisiana Native) but the majority of my family is here and I also attended the University of Detroit Mercy where I recieved my Bachelors of Science in Computer and Information Systems.Now about Ford-- I will start from the beginning [[bare with me, I can be long winded).

I am very very upset with Ford. My mother is currently employed at the company, however this post is not only about her employment with them but also the fact that they are hiring based on race. Several weeks ago I purchased a car off of Craigslist. When I went to pick up the car from the seller, me, Him [[a white man in Macomb county), and my mother were having a discussion about the job market in Michigan. My mother is a member of the UAW and IBEW. She was wearing her IBEW jacket.

When the guy who sold me the car saw her jacket he begin asking her about IBEW and she told him that she is still a member but currently working for Ford. They started talking about Ford plants that were hiring in the last 60 days.
    The guy who was selling me the car told us both that the Ford plants he went too to apply for work, SPECIFICALLY told him they were only hiring "30 white guys and 15 black guys". Now the reason that this pisses me off so much is this:

1.) Why are they hiring based on race?
    2.) The majority of the men showing up for the jobs were BLACK. There were more BLACK men there than white. The guy who told us this story actually confirmed that there were twice as many black men there to apply for work.

Now remember, this is a WHITE man telling both me and my mother this story. Why would he lie about something like this? From what I gathered from our conversation, the person who told him they were specifically hiring "30 white guys, and 15 black guys" was someone who was apart of doing the hiring and this person was also familiar with the man who sold me the car otherwise why would they speak so openly and comfortably about Ford hiring practices?

My question for you all is this: Have any of you heard that this happens at certain Ford plants? Do you think this is a FAIR practice? I am in the midst of contacting the guy who sold me the car to ask him if he can tell me exactly what Ford plants were doing this so I can report them to the NAACP. The reason being is that we already have entirely too many unemployed Black people in Metro Detroit that may be unfairly denied work at Ford because they only want to hire "30 white guys and 15 black guys".

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LadyCeoDetroit; July-13-10 at 11:13 AM.