This morning I received and email from our neighborhood Association. It outlines the very drastic cuts outlined by the council. If fully enacted it will lower the little quality of life we. Read and weep, then send these council persons an email.

The following information was sent to me from Roberta Henrion, President of the Friends of Belle Isle, Lori Heinz, President of GreenAcres Woodward Civic Association, and Alicia Biggers-Gaddies from the 12 precinct Neighborhood Coalition. It is quite alarming.

Dear Friends:

Detroit City Council has proposed cutting $9,000,000 from General Services Department and $1,000,000 from Recreation Department. If this happens, both departments will have to lay off all their spring/summer grass cutters and people who pick up trash in the parks.

IF they have to lay off all these people, they will have to close more than 100 parks [[since they will have only a few full time staff left). I [[Lori Heinz) asked what "closed" meant and I was told they will have no one to cut the grass or pick up the trash! They will also have to target for closure some of the larger and harder to maintain parks, including Rouge Park, Palmer Park, Farwell.

I was told that a final decision has not been made on which parks – but I don't think we can afford to not mow any parks. We have to keep our City looking clean and high grass and weeds is not clean, it also is a breeding ground for crime. This means our [[NEXT Detroit and volunteers from Greenacres, 12th Preceinct NC, and other neighborhoods) recent efforts may have been in vain. We are all working hard to make Palmer Park a destination within our neighborhood; one where children can participate in productive organized sports and not in criminal activities since there is nothing productive for them to do. I really understand that budget cuts are necessary; however, changing our city is a holistic process starting with our future, our children.

Also, General Services will cut all budgeted money for vacant lot mowing – meaning no vacant lots will get mowed starting in July – and will lay off over 40 mechanics [[out of 90 mechanics) who repair city wide vehicles including Fire, Police, DPW trucks and other equipment. This will result in slower services to the citizens and response times. I think we all realize the City is in tough financial straights - but to cut money that is a core service seems counterproductive to me. [[I sure hope that these are not the trucks that come out and fix our lights...many of which lights are currently out)

Belle Isle is staffed 75% by spring/summer help – if they are laid off grass will not be cut all summer in the parks along the river including Belle Isle, Gabriel Richard and Erma Henderson. Belle Isle Comfort Stations will be closed and port-johns will return, as we had this winter, because staff will not be hired to maintain and clean them. Nine people are left to maintain all of Belle Isle; they are the same people that maintain all the parks along the river.

I encourage all of your association's Conservation Committees and residents to call City Council members and ask them to reconsider these cuts. There will be public hearings to review the budgets on Tuesday May 25th: 10:00 am in City Council Chambers and/or the evening session starting at 7:00 pm at Mt. Zion Baptist Church at Van Dyke and Mack. Our voices can and need to be heard at these meetings. If your work schedule prevents you from attending, numbers and emails for all of our City Council Members are listed below.

Roberta Henrion, Pres. of Friends of Belle Isle: I realize the City is in tough financial straights - but to cut money that is a core service seems unbelievable. The parks and the entire City will look awful. Where will children go to enjoy their summer vacation? The parks are essential to the well being of Detroit area citizens as is the maintenance of the public vehicles.

If you live or work in the city of Detroit, you pay taxes and your voice should be heard. Please call AND e-mail each Detroit City Council member asking them to reconsider this cut. Also attend the public hearing at 10 am on Tuesday May 25th in City Council Chambers, 2 Woodward Avenue. Your voice should be heard at these meetings.

Listed below are the telephone numbers & e-mail addresses for each council member.