I'm definitely partial to the Woodward Corridor, from Ferndale through Birmingham. Agree with gnome and others who have Birmingham as the best choice. I'd go with Royal Oak next, then Ferndale [[tiebreaker is that Ferndale just doesn't have the volume of retail/residential as Royal Oak).

That being said, I've been on the East Side for 7 years and like the Pointes, though we only live next to them. There is a side of me that feels isolated being basically surrounded by I-94 and water, but it really is only about 15-20 minutes to Royal Oak and 15-20 minutes downtown [[taking the scenic Jefferson route or the "scenic" Mack route - half that going freeway). The accessibility of the rest of town [[Vernier/8 mile is a terrific and underrated - not on these forums - way to get from east to west) and relative feel of isolation by the water may ultimately keep us out this way. GP city, GPP and "the Hill" all have small-town urban appeal.

By the way, I don't know that I'd be able to recommend Indian Village, though I admittedly do not understand it well. Last week I rolled into that neighborhood on a flat tire at 8:20 a.m. and it took me too long to find and put on the donut [[40 minutes). Saw minimal traffic [[was on Seminole near Charlevoix), but no cops and no private security. I know it is safe, but just seems like too much of an oasis and adjustment for someone not used to Detroit.