Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
Iheartthed, I know that you like disagreeing with me for the sake of it, but please provide evidence regarding effective gentrification efforts in NYC beginning in the late 1980's. Further, please provide evidence that any widespread gentrification occurred in Harlem and other once high-crime neighborhoods. While there was some revitalization in the 1980s, as well as some temporary reductions in crime, there was not widespread gentrification until the mid to late 90's, several years after the dramatic drops in crime had begun.

New York City's murder count peaked at 2245 in 1990, but was in the 1800-ish range for the few years preceding that. 1800 was still an incredibly high number, considering that the city at the time had about 1 million fewer people than it does now.
I'm disagreeing with you because you are wrong.

Gentrification: The Case of Clinton Hill

Published: February 8, 1987

THERE is always human and political turmoil when a city neighborhood is being retrieved from abandonment and decay and, in this regard, the Clinton Hill section of downtown Brooklyn is no exception. But unlike other minority neighborhoods that have been overrun by middle-income whites in search of affordable housing, Clinton Hill has been propelled into gentrification by an integrated mix of middle-income New Yorkers.
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/08/re...l?pagewanted=1