Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Bad troll. No goat.

Do you people talking about Giuliani even understand who he is? He has bigger balls than probably everyone on this board. This guy eliminated large factions of organized crime in his city as US Attorney. He indicted members of numerous high profile organized crime syndicates. He had a firm grasp on crime LONG before he took over as mayor. He ultimately helped pave his own way for remarkable results as Mayor. Detroit needs someone like this to keep everyone on their toes. Here is his wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Guliani

As for those who arent familiar with the DPD program "Stress", here is an article that mentions the program and why it was disbanded: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=57503%22
    Last edited by Dbest; May-13-11 at 08:42 AM.

I would vote for Rudy Gulliani if he was to run for mayor of Detroit. I don't think he will but Detroit really needs someone like Gulliani to step in and run this city properly.

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post
    I would suggest NYC's massive drop in crime has to do with displacement more than anything else. NYC is over 45% foreign born, if you include the kids these immigrants have you are at about 70%+ of the population.
    There are 2.87 million immigrants in NYC. NYC has a population of 8.17 million. 2.87 million is not 45% of 8.17 million.

Furthermore, if one looks at the overall population trend, the increased number of immigrants from 1980 - 2010 corresponds with the overall increase in population. Immigrants, one can thus conclude, were largely an addition to NYC's population; not a displacement of the previous population.

The fact that immigrants did not displace the criminal element is further confirmed by the fact that there hasn't been an increase in crime in any of the surrounding areas, which is what one would expect if displaced criminals suddenly arrived.

Maybe Mayor Bloomberg was right; the city does need immigrants to flood it and push out the thieves, pandhandlers, carjackers, rapist, gangbangers, and last but not least, home invaders. They are the locals

Be careful what you wish for,there is a difference between old school immigrants and some newer ones that are relocating from heavy gang and crime countries,their children are the ones that were in the gangs.Florida's population growth was attributed to immigration and now Orlando beats Detroit when it comes to crime.

You could try using a page from late 1980s Miami crime unit used to battle the heavy drug violence,it started with a C but basically they did what it took to take care of the problem no matter what it took or one way or another.

But now the best way is community involvement,neighborhood watch etc. or work on currant and on going fraud and taxpayer theft and use those funds to put more officers on the street.

As far as problem clubs go the easiest and strongest way to shut them down is by the use of minors being allowed into the club,no liquor license no club ATF shuts them down verses the city or possibility of one being on a payroll.
    Last edited by Richard; May-13-11 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    There are 2.87 million immigrants in NYC. NYC has a population of 8.17 million. 2.87 million is not 45% of 8.17 million.

Furthermore, if one looks at the overall population trend, the increased number of immigrants from 1980 - 2010 corresponds with the overall increase in population. Immigrants, one can thus conclude, were largely an addition to NYC's population; not a displacement of the previous population.

The fact that immigrants did not displace the criminal element is further confirmed by the fact that there hasn't been an increase in crime in any of the surrounding areas, which is what one would expect if displaced criminals suddenly arrived.
    Omg lol wtf again!

here is what I said:

1990 foreign born NYC 27%
    2000 foreign born NYC 36%
    2010 foreign born NYC 46%

Between 1970 and 2000, the total foreign-born population nearly doubled, from 1.44 million to 2.87 million
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/cen...exec_sum.shtml

the year 2000- NYC had 2.87 million immigrants which is about 35% of the population. I did not claim in the year 2000 NYC had 45% immigrant.

come on what is going with you people?
    Last edited by runnerXT; May-13-11 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Do you people talking about Giuliani even understand who he is? He has bigger balls than probably everyone on this board. This guy eliminated large factions of organized crime in his city as US Attorney. He indicted members of numerous high profile organized crime syndicates. He had a firm grasp on crime LONG before he took over as mayor. He ultimately helped pave his own way for remarkable results as Mayor. Detroit needs someone like this to keep everyone on their toes. Here is his wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Guliani

As for those who arent familiar with the DPD program "Stress", here is an article that mentions the program and why it was disbanded: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=57503%22
    Yes, I know all about Rudy's record. Some of us active in Democratic politics were expecting him to be the 2008 GOP nominee. His professional records, as well as his personal life and values, are very well known to many of us.

If people think that the city of Detroit is going to have a mayor anything like Giuliani within the next generation, they aren't dealing in reality. There is no way that any city with Detroit's demographics would vote anyone like that in. I'm definitely the most square and nerdy sista in the city, and I'd be first in line to vote against anyone like that.

The only way you get a "law-and-order," "bash their heads in," "profiling is GOOD," vigilante mayor in the city of Detroit is if the demographics flip. Barring a Katrina-like scenario, or a future government forcibly removing the poorest and least mobile demographics, it just isn't going to happen...

...and it doesn't need to happen. We are talking certain establishments that need to be shut down. We don't need the secret police swooping down on dark-skinned and/or poor people in order to do that. Not here. Maybe that's how they do things in NYC, but Detroit isn't NY and never will be.
    Last edited by English; May-13-11 at 09:33 PM.

agrahlma Guest

I just looked out my bedroom window and I counted 13 police cars at the corner of Grand River and Broadway. They took at least four men into custody -- maybe more. DPD came heavy on this call!

agrahlma Guest

....three more unmarked cars just went speeding down Broadway with their lights flashing -- damn -- its a little out of hand tonight...lol!!

Omg lol wtf again!

here is what I said:

1990 foreign born NYC 27%
    2000 foreign born NYC 36%
    2010 foreign born NYC 46%

Between 1970 and 2000, the total foreign-born population nearly doubled, from 1.44 million to 2.87 million
    What's your source that 46% of NYC residents were foreign born in 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    ....three more unmarked cars just went speeding down Broadway with their lights flashing -- damn -- its a little out of hand tonight...lol!!
    DPD shows up?

I'm jealous.

the year 2000- NYC had 2.87 million immigrants which is about 35% of the population. I did not claim in the year 2000 NYC had 45% immigrant.

come on what is going with you people?
    I did misunderstand you originally, but I still don't think the immigrants pushed out the criminals, so to speak. NYC has added about 1.2 million residents between 1980 and 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

If people think that the city of Detroit is going to have a mayor anything like Giuliani within the next generation, they aren't dealing in reality. There is no way that any city with Detroit's demographics would vote anyone like that in. I'm definitely the most square and nerdy sista in the city, and I'd be first in line to vote against anyone like that.

The only way you get a "law-and-order," "bash their heads in," "profiling is GOOD," vigilante mayor in the city of Detroit is if the demographics flip. Barring a Katrina-like scenario, or a future government forcibly removing the poorest and least mobile demographics, it just isn't going to happen...
    It is also a possible result if a regional government is created [[i.e. changing who votes for the mayor). This is what happened in Indianapolis with the "unigov" concept.. Such a result, [[i.e. less control over the mayor of the "city") is a major reason why Detroiters would possibly vote against it. A regional government created though a legislative act or state constitutional referendum are other possibilities that could lead to this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    It is also a possible result if a regional government is created [[i.e. changing who votes for the mayor). This is what happened in Indianapolis with the "unigov" concept.. Such a result, [[i.e. less control over the mayor of the "city") is a major reason why Detroiters would possibly vote against it. A regional government created though a legislative act or state constitutional referendum are other possibilities that could lead to this scenario.
    I think if Detroit is to survive and the metro region to thrive, the amalgamation will happen. That means both the burbs and the city will have to water their wine a little bit, and the result of compromise will be the beginning of fruitful communication.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think if Detroit is to survive and the metro region to thrive, the amalgamation will happen. That means both the burbs and the city will have to water their wine a little bit, and the result of compromise will be the beginning of fruitful communication.
    LOL.

An amalgamation of the tri-county area would be the end of the metro as we know it.

In the 70's, when Detroit was much healthier, a proposed tri-county school system caused a massive boom in Livingston County land values and home sales, and the tri-county home market basically ground to a halt.

I would pool money with anyone I could find to buy land in exurbia. We would make out like bandits, as hundreds of thousands vacate the metro for decent schools and services, and local control.

Yikes! Busy time indeed! 13 squad cars? Whoa to someone hopelessly tucked away in one of the neighborhoods like Kercheval and Lenox or Pasadena and Dexter needing police service.
    Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    I just looked out my bedroom window and I counted 13 police cars at the corner of Grand River and Broadway. They took at least four men into custody -- maybe more. DPD came heavy on this call!

LOL! Indeed some areas there NO-SHOW. Large segments of the east side, portions of the west side too. The criminals know which areas have sparse policing.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    DPD shows up?

I'm jealous.

Hoedown violence in the hood. The security guys in my building witnessed two shootings Friday night. One outside Hart Plaza, another at the corner of Larned and Brush.

Saturday night, I watched a mob fight from my balcony at about 10:45. A large group of kids - they looked like teenagers - attacked each other at the corner of Larned and Brush. It ended with one kid getting brutally beaten by at least 6 or 7 other kids, punching and kicking him as he lay in the sidewalk. I called 911. A cop showed up and from what I could see just watched over the victim untill an ambulance showed up about 15 minutes later and hauled him off.

Reports of riverwalk gang dominance on weekend nights now proliferating. Cops outnumbered downtown and mostly observe.

Well, I've parked my car downtown overnight and over on l9th St, E. Canfield, etc and haven't even used my burglar alarm on the car Everything was ok. I've walked on the riverfront with my sister [[two women alone, at night) and nothing happened. I've driven on Mack Ave., Field St, I don't know, maybe I"m just lucky, or maybe living in big cities all my life has toughened me up .

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Reports of riverwalk gang dominance on weekend nights now proliferating. Cops outnumbered downtown and mostly observe.
    I noticed that, too, this weekend. I've never seen anything like the lack of police presence downtown when there was a Tigers game *and* a Hart Plaza festival going on.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I noticed that, too, this weekend. I've never seen anything like the lack of police presence downtown when there was a Tigers game *and* a Hart Plaza festival going on.
    There was no lack of police presence downtown this weekend. Cops were everywhere, posted up on every corner, on foot, on horses, and had at least 25+ cruisers patrolling downtown. That's a lot of manpower. DPD worked its ass off too. The problem was not policing, the problem was the rowdiness/drunkenness of the crowd. Lots of teenagers drinking in parking structures and then acting up, fighting, yelling, throwing stuff, and disrespecting others. You'd need to quadruple the number of officers downtown to even make a dent in the situation. DPD did a good job of controlling traffic and pedestrian flow, responding FAST to situations, and cleaned up the mess as well as anyone could expect. The only thing DPD could have improved upon was open intoxicant enforcement. I saw many people carrying around open beers or bottles of liquor that should have been ticketed. The fact that people who aren't from here feel comfortable blatantly breaking the law in public says something. This IS NOT New Orleans. Perhaps I'm asking too much of country music fans to keep it classy.

I have to admit that I am really surprised at recent updates to this thread.

Downtown Hoedown hicks are shooting each other up? Country gangs on the Riverwalk? Crips and Bloods straight outta Fowlerville?

None of this is in the papers. Is this stuff for real, or just rumor?

I reported the shootings during hoedown. I got that info from security folks in my building. I trust the information. They didn't know who was involved in the shooting near hart plaza. The shooting at Larned and Brush didn't appear to be visiting white country fans. I searched the papers for reports and found nothing - no surprise. I suspect no one died in these shootings.

I also reported the gang fight below my balcony. I saw this mob and it's victim. It was violent and scary. Some kid had to be hauled off in an ambulance. The mob was black. Most of the hoedown fans were white.

"Gangs on the riverwalk" sounds like a complete rumor. I'd like to see some backup from whoever posted that. I spend a great deal if time on the riverwalk alone, with my children and with friends. I've never seen or heard of any kind violence there, or any kind of gang activity there. The police presence is always visible and adequate. And the riverwalk closes at 10:00. Virtually every violent crime I've witnessed or heard about occurred later in the evening.

I witnessed lots of drunken hoedown rowdiness - and their lack respect for our neighborhood - but I saw no white country fan gangs fighting or shooting.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast