Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The biggest convention cities, by far, are Orlando and Vegas, neither of which have airport rail or remotely decent public transit.

And I doubt too many conventioners would take public transit when their taxis and/or rental cars are already paid for.
    I don't know about Orlando, but Vegas has all types of shuttles and buses, public and private, that run back and forth between the airport and the strip. I used the LV bus system on many occasions to get to the airport. To be honest, I don't even know how a city like Detroit and its airport can each exist without transit connecting the two. What the hell are travelers supposed to do? When you think about it, the whole situation is completely ridiculous. There are hundreds of thousands of people who fly into Metro Airport every year that are going downtown, and we MAKE them rent a car or pay for Metro Cab. That's real nice. Why don't we just make them BUY a car for the weekend. Or, better yet, why don't we just build a giant mine field with barbed wire and booby traps around the whole airport so that guests in our state have to bear-crawl their way to their destination. I'm sure that will keep people flowing in and spending money. I mean, could we make it any more difficult to access our region?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I don't know about Orlando, but Vegas has all types of shuttles and buses, public and private, that run back and forth between the airport and the strip. I used the LV bus system on many occasions to get to the airport. To be honest, I don't even know how a city like Detroit and its airport can each exist without transit connecting the two. What the hell are travelers supposed to do? When you think about it, the whole situation is completely ridiculous. There are hundreds of thousands of people who fly into Metro Airport every year that are going downtown, and we MAKE them rent a car or pay for Metro Cab. That's real nice. Why don't we just make them BUY a car for the weekend. Or, better yet, why don't we just build a giant mine field with barbed wire and booby traps around the whole airport so that guests in our state have to bear-crawl their way to their destination. I'm sure that will keep people flowing in and spending money. I mean, could we make it any more difficult to access our region?
    In point of fact, I have long argued that the best way forward is to raise the airport fees at DTW sufficiently to cover additional connecting airfare [["Surprise!") to a similarly sprawly but sunnier location like Phoenix or Orlando, thereby obviating the need for any infrastructure investments whatsoever and proceeding directly to Go.
    Well, Stop. Or fail. Take your pick.