Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dequindre Cut

Does money have to change hands for paint to to be art? If the graffiti was commissioned it should be considered art? If it wasnt its vandalism?

I was hoping someone on the forum could tell me whether or not the DC will be open this weekend. I have some friends coming in from out of of town. The plan is to rent some bikes at Wheelhouse Detroit and then bike up to Eastern Market via the DC. Does anyone know if this will be possible to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I was hoping someone on the forum could tell me whether or not the DC will be open this weekend. I have some friends coming in from out of of town. The plan is to rent some bikes at Wheelhouse Detroit and then bike up to Eastern Market via the DC. Does anyone know if this will be possible to do?
    The Dequindre Cut is always open. The paved bike path currently runs from the Riverwalk to Gratiot, which basically puts you at Eastern Market. Here's the map: http://www.detroitriverfront.org/cm/...dreCut_Map.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    The Dequindre Cut is always open. The paved bike path currently runs from the Riverwalk to Gratiot, which basically puts you at Eastern Market. Here's the map: http://www.detroitriverfront.org/cm/...dreCut_Map.pdf
    The DC was closed closed from Woodrige to Gratiot at the beginning of May, according to the poster who started this thread. I just wanted to check to see if any knows whether or not that is still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    The DC was closed closed from Woodrige to Gratiot at the beginning of May, according to the poster who started this thread. I just wanted to check to see if any knows whether or not that is still the case.
    Oh, I hadn't realized a section of it was closed. I haven't taken it all the way to EM yet this season, so I can't answer your question. Sorry...

It was open on Saturday, when a friend and I walked from the East Riverfront to Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post

My question is this: why isn't there a pedestrian walkway at the end of the cut, or close by, so that you can easily cross the street? We had to walk all the way to the next intersection, cross, and then make our way back towards the Market.

My guess is that the DC is intended for bikers, not pedestrians. This weekend, I'll be taking my car to the Market.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    My question is this: why isn't there a pedestrian walkway at the end of the cut, or close by, so that you can easily cross the street? We had to walk all the way to the next intersection, cross, and then make our way back towards the Market.

My guess is that the DC is intended for bikers, not pedestrians. This weekend, I'll be taking my car to the Market.
    I believe Gratiot is 8 lanes at that point, I'm not sure that would be a good spot to have a crosswalk.

I'm assuming you walked south on Gratiot and crossed at the Central Market? I took a look at Google maps and the crosswalk you speak of would have saved you less than 200 yards.
    I've walked that route plenty of times in reverse, EM to the Riverfront and back.

No, actually, we walked north on Gratiot and crossed at the next intersection. I couldn't figure out the route south and over to the market from that point -- I'm a Detroit West Sider just learning the East Side, so of course getting to EM any way besides a vehicle is completely new to me -- and my friend was confused too. Signage could be improved if an elevated walkway/bikeway is out of the question. It didn't lend itself, in my opinion, to a repeat.

Also, things seemed kind of quiet and desolate by Saturday afternoon. I'd bike the Cut by myself, but I don't know that I'd walk it alone as a single female.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummm... I wouldn't have asked had I actually been there.... now would I???

Also, since you're a Newbie on this forum.... the majority of the folks on this forum HATE grafitti WHEREVER it is posted.... in fact grafitti is NOT considered an art form as you seem to think... most forumers think it is a CRIME, and the perpertrators should be punished.... that is all...

This thread might bring you up to speed on how DYES Forumers think about grafitti... even if it's from CCS students....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...inting-Detroit
    There is a huge difference between graffiti vandalism and invited graffiti artwork. I am a staunch opponent of graffiti vandalism, but I think that legal graffiti art is cool.

I like the murals in the Dequindre Cut, but I hate it when some vandal throws up a tag on the front of my building.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2