Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Goodness these changes are drastic indeed! A fare increase would be better. I feel for those who rely on the busses to get to work. I've been in that position... which is why I am holding on to my car for dear life. I don't want to be back on any form of bus at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    While this certainly sucks, I don't understand why D-DOT doesn't consider raising fares before slashing even further.

Most transit agencies nowadays charge somewhere in the $2-$3 range for one-way fares. D-DOT is charging half that.

Yes, it would impact those who have no other choice, but slashing service to the bone isn't exactly doing them any favors.

Very drastic cuts indeed. My fellow transit advocates were able to convince City Council not to allow any sort of fare increase a couple of months ago, and now that is coming home to roost.

The fact of the matter is the City is broke. It is a shame that cuts of this magnitude are necessary, but the City is broke, and if it can't get more money into the bus system by raising fares, you get what you see here.

You can't have it both ways. Either fares have to go up, or service has to be cut, or, quite frankly, both. Detroit should raise its fare, privatize collections [[to reduce theft among other things), and make more modest service adjustments. But it won't.