Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think motion has owned the MCS for about 20 years. When he bought it, it had windows.

False, when Maroun purchased the building it still had some intact windows, but most were broken as there was no fence, no security, no front door.

After having taken a train by that station I'll tell you your description is a little deceiving, yes they've done a good job cleaning it up but it doesn't look much better than mcs, infact the land around MCS looks much better and neater than the buffalo station... The buffalo station and the land around it looks very dangerous and over grown with metal shrubbery.
    You can't base the work at Buffalo Central Terminal on the view from the Lake Shore Limited. I'm not even sure if the non-profit owns the remaining platforms [[which were long ago lost their tracks) yet. I visited the site in 2004, and although I didn't go inside, it was just great to see plexiglass on the windows and the clocks in place on the tower. Since then, so much of the interior has been stabilized and many historical elements have been returned/reconstructed. The Lake Shore Limited view is not sufficient. I know Buffalo is anticipating some day returning the Amtrak stop to the depot, which would be one of the best factors about the restored building. This group has much to be proud of. I wish we had the same here in Detroit.

And I'm not at all limiting what they've done, I'm just saying from comparison as an out of towner the view of the Buffalo station looks about the same as the exterior view of MCS. As a member of the MCS preservation society I am well aware of the work the Buffalo group has done, I've seen before and after photographs and know they too suffer from multiple property owners [[ones that care and ones that don't). MCS too suffers from the same problem, except that Canadian Pacific - who owns the former train shed area and live tracks - takes care of their property, whereas AMTRAK or whomever owns the Buffalo train shed obviously does not.

I know the volunteers at the Buffalo station are more than willing to clean up and maintain the train sheds at their station but have been rebuked by the landowners.

Much has been done to the area around the MCS building inside and out. On several occasions I've seen crews from the bridge company cutting down trees, cleaning up trash and maintaining the flower bed that was installed in summer 09. They also several times a year go inside and power wash the floor and columns, also they've done well to remove graffiti from the exterior of the building as well. Sure it's not enough, but its something...

The only property owner of the three that own the Michigan Central Station complex that hasn't done anything is the City of Detroit. They own [[but contest this fact) the area under the tracks and the loading bays themselves. There was an article in the FreeP detailing the ownership, the specifics I don't recall, but those loading bays are always an issue and are a sneaky way into the building, something the bridge company and Canadian Pacific have both tried to deal with, CP more successfully with their thick metal caps over the former staircases and the bricked off doorway leading into the station; not to mention their campaign of RR police, cameras and lights.

DIBC's efforts have been valiant but flawed, their use of improvised fences and gates prove time and time again to be failures. They have used hand made gates made of welded fence posts which are bolted to the walls of the depot which have been knocked down or in one instance sawed off with an electric saw [[so I'm told).

All in all there are people who have a deep passion about MCS don't doubt that, the thing is their efforts are hampered by its owner, and a city who is willing to tear it down with no thought, the situation in Buffalo is completely different.

Also the Roosevelt Park work that Phillip Cooley has done is commendable. Al

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    You can't base the work at Buffalo Central Terminal on the view from the Lake Shore Limited. I'm not even sure if the non-profit owns the remaining platforms [[which were long ago lost their tracks) yet. I visited the site in 2004, and although I didn't go inside, it was just great to see plexiglass on the windows and the clocks in place on the tower. Since then, so much of the interior has been stabilized and many historical elements have been returned/reconstructed. The Lake Shore Limited view is not sufficient. I know Buffalo is anticipating some day returning the Amtrak stop to the depot, which would be one of the best factors about the restored building. This group has much to be proud of. I wish we had the same here in Detroit.

the Maroun operation is gutless. the city should be more aggressive and play hardball with them on every property they own, regardless of the political cost..

The BCT project faces some significant structural challenges, it appears: http://goo.gl/maps/xOXx :-O

Ah, Google Street View.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmaven View Post
    ...I think, unfortunately, it is beyond restoration.
    Please don't make statements like that unless you have specific and current knowledge.

Look at Orchestra Hall -- it was brutalized before it was saved. I recall hearing that fires were being started w/ seat parts in the auditorium.

Look at Detroit Opera House -- holes you could toss cars through in the ceiling. Flooded basement.

Look at Book-Cadilla Hotel -- all the plaster in the ballroom was washed away.

People so quickly assume things are 'beyond restoration'. Sure -- its sad when the finished are destroyed. But in 95% of the cases, the first thing done in a restoration is removal of those surfaces down to the structure, and then a new interior. [[In the other 5%, a particular plaster room is saved, or stonework is restored/replaced as would be the case with the main hall at MCS.)

Needless to say, the demolition of the platform areas does make that beyond restoration.

"Call 1-800-HANSONS.....get it done."

I don't want it demolished, but I will admit I can't think of a single remotely viable use for this building.

And the Book Cadillac isn't a good comparison, IMO. The Book isn't an example of an ecomomically viable use. It's an example of the power of public money to restore a community treasure. The hotel renovation made no economic sense absent huge subsidies.

If the only way this building gets renovated is due to hundreds of millions in public subsidies, I say no thanks, and bring on the wrecking ball. If very minimal subsidies are involved, then a renovation should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    You are sooo wrong. That building has many years left in it. If it was designated
    an historic landmark, extra monies from the govt. could be used to restore it.
    You'd be very surprised how overwhelming and quick these projects can be accomplished when the decisions have been made. A complete restoration is in order for that gem, and the sooner the better. THAT is where the new Detroit Police Department should go [[as once discussed)....plenty of room, and parking, unlike the crowed downtown location[[s) .....plus....the area surrounding MCS needs a little
    boost in notice and activity, especially since the baseball stadium abandonment.
    AND.....AND....too many beautiful old buildings from Detroit's glorious past, have
    fallen to the wrecking ball. It's a damn shame to even think this could continue
    to happen here in Detroit. Why line the pockets of the demolition companies,
    which only stand for destruction. Promote instead, a company that would render
    'state of the art' green, resource preserving energy and efficiency plans...and hurl
    Detroit into the 21st century with both arms FINALLY.
    Buy or imminent domain that building from the Murouns...period.
    I don't care how many more years of use it has in it. The building serves no purpose anymore so therefore should be demolished. It's urban blight at it's finest, is this what you want to look at coming into Detroit? I'm also sick of hearing that everything in Detroit should be restored, no everything in Detroit should not be restored, this city needs to get out of the 1950's and 60's, this is 2011, not 1967. To me Detroit is still stuck in 1967 and has been for 44 years. Nothing ever gets done in Detroit, it's always one small project that does next to nothing to give the city any hope. Detroit might be a major city population wise but it does not function as a major city. Give me one good reason to keep this eyesore of a depot standing. They demolished Tiger Stadium and Tiger Stadium was older than the train station, so why can't the train station be demolished? Especially when it serves no purpose anymore, it was a train station and a very oversized one. We don't need a train station that is never going to be used again standing. That whole neighborhood around the train station is a disaster but yeah let's just keep the train station standing just because some people want to.

Bad, Bad building shame on you because of you so many wrong things have happened just like your buddy the car Christine ,everything is your fault if we tear you down then everything will be okay because it is easier to destroy then to build.

And because right here and now we cannot ever believe anybody in their right mind would ever dream of living in an apartment on your upper floors or coming in on a train and staying in the the boutique hotel because it is convient to shop in the cute little supermarket or other local small business shops located within or visit the welcome to Detroit tourist center and gift shop located in the main terminal so you can pick up tickets for a river cruise.because it is not happening today then lets tear you down because it will never happen and we want to make damn sure it never does in the future,we would like to have instant gratification and you are standing in our way of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    I don't care how many more years of use it has in it. The building serves no purpose anymore so therefore should be demolished. It's urban blight at it's finest, is this what you want to look at coming into Detroit? I'm also sick of hearing that everything in Detroit should be restored, no everything in Detroit should not be restored, this city needs to get out of the 1950's and 60's, this is 2011, not 1967. To me Detroit is still stuck in 1967 and has been for 44 years. Nothing ever gets done in Detroit, it's always one small project that does next to nothing to give the city any hope. Detroit might be a major city population wise but it does not function as a major city. Give me one good reason to keep this eyesore of a depot standing. They demolished Tiger Stadium and Tiger Stadium was older than the train station, so why can't the train station be demolished? Especially when it serves no purpose anymore, it was a train station and a very oversized one. We don't need a train station that is never going to be used again standing. That whole neighborhood around the train station is a disaster but yeah let's just keep the train station standing just because some people want to.
    They said the same shit about the Book Cadillac.

I would disagree with you, on several drives around corktown northeast of the depot the neighborhood is great, well kept houses and lawns, a park...sure there's a few bad eggs in there but I'd say other than the couple buildings on Michigan Ave, the depot and the warehouse, Roosevelt, I'd say the areas pretty nice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2