Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    And I think you fail to understand that they can, and often do, go hand in hand. There, now we've each reached the inevitable conclusion that the other one doesn't get it.
    Circular reasoning will continue to take you any place you'd like, which is certainly your prerogative.

Have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Circular reasoning will continue to take you any place you'd like, which is certainly your prerogative.

Have a great weekend.
    As will selecting which facts you want to recognize and which you'd prefer to ignore. You gave a spirited, if ultimately ineffectual, defense of Stalin and Mao, though.

Atheism is indeed a belief. Athiests say they believe in nothing so they have nothing to prove.

To support a viewpoint, you must tear down completely the other viewpoint and in its place build a foundation of proof supporting your own. Without that foundation, the arugment becomes invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    As will selecting which facts you want to recognize and which you'd prefer to ignore. You gave a spirited, if ultimately ineffectual, defense of Stalin and Mao, though.
    Unfortunately, certain truths will always be denied by you. Ineffectual, no matter what.

And that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Atheism is indeed a belief. Athiests say they believe in nothing so they have nothing to prove.

To support a viewpoint, you must tear down completely the other viewpoint and in its place build a foundation of proof supporting your own. Without that foundation, the arugment becomes invalid.
    The problem with this argument is that you're giving the alternate "viewpoint" any credence. You can tell me you believe in the tooth fairy and I don't have to tear that down completely for it to not register as remotely valid.

Just because you're introducing a religious viewpoint doesn't mean atheist has to dissect it before coming to any sort of conclusion or peace.

You can tell me you believe in the tooth fairy and I don't have to tear that down completely for it to not register as remotely valid.
    I wondered how long it was going to take you to reveal that the "respectfully" that you opened up with here was phony. I could see the false facade collapsing as we went back and forth and knew it would not be long before you showed your true colors.

And if you don't understand that your atheism is an unprovable belief and requires faith, well who can argue with someone who has no comprehension of their own beliefs?

As an atheist, I certainly do not accept any religious belief as valid in my life, but I certainly haven't made a statement as to anyone else's beliefs. I'm not sure why you find that disrespectful. The tooth fairy comment was clearly used as a universally accepted untruth to demonstrate a point. Just because you claim something is true based solely on "faith" doesn't mean anyone else should accept it.

The only person to attempt an insult here has been you, in reality.

My atheism is a disbelief in something logically and scientifically unprovable. Nothing more, but entirely the opposite of your misunderstanding.

Truthfully though, I have begun to lose respect for you, individually, for your lack of honesty or reason. Not because you're wrong.

Truthfully though, I have begun to lose respect for you, individually, for your lack of honesty or reason. Not because you're wrong.
    Well, we have this in common: I feel exactly the same way about you.

drippyhollows Guest

they should have make themselves useful and cleaned up some empty lots. Done
    some improvements on the fringe areas around downtown.

Just so some of the posters who are so worried that the prayer marchers are only praying and not cleaning up empty lots or anything like Drippy advocates, one of the marchers interviews was one Susan Scherer. She didn't mention her years of hard work on behalf of the City of Detroit, her very successful hosting of Super Bowl XL in 2006 [[she was executive Director of the Host Committee). - and weren't we all proud then?- and her current work as Director and chief fund-raiser for the Heat and Warmth Fund. Isn't that maybe a little more valuable to the poor of our City than a few hours cleaning empty lots? And to top it off, she and her husband are opening two businesses on Michigan Ave.

It is so hypocritical to worry and accuse good people of doing not enough when you don't have any idea what they are doing every day, and when you probably aren't doing nearly as much with your own talents and resources.
    Last edited by SWMAP; April-24-11 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typing on phone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5