Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Lowell, I absolutely agree. Public demonstrations can be their own reward. Sometimes public demonstrations of faith are necessary to reach the lost and needy.

Matthew 5:15-17 [[New International Version, ©2011)
    15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I love the jumping-Jesus crowd. Singing, head-wagging, shouting, clasping hands and screaming to their god Bejeezus. Much better than doing any actual works to get involved in a massive, passive fashion and flair contest.
    Prayer is doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Prayer is doing something.
    That is a matter of opinion. You think you're, like, sending out brainwaves or something? So the invisible man in the sky can listen in?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yeah, that's why I never understood the logic of people who call Detroit or Michigan liberal.

Other than the labor movement Michigan and Detroit makes many southern states look liberal.
    I would argue that the backlash against Christian prayer, the overall theme of the responses on this thread, make Michigan, particularly Detroit, look not liberal or conservative, but ignorant, graceless, and backwater.

I don't see what the difference is between this and any other ideologist running into Detroit with the message that their way will "save the city". And there have been quite a few of those of late, from the Republicans claiming that Democratic leadership destroyed the city, to the urban green movement claiming that wide scale farming would save the city, to the new age urban planners claiming that shrinking the city will save it, blah blah blah. If anything the most troubling thing about this all is how many people view Detroit as something that needs saving...

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Not sure why I posted a whole lot of H's. I must have been typing something, got called away and accidentally punched the wrong key.

Anyway, it gave me a good feeling seeing videos of this event and seeing people of different races mixing and praying side by side. People always talk about the racial divide in this area and this was at least one example of the total opposite.

I'm not sure how this is much different than someone going to church.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You think you're, like, sending out brainwaves or something? So the invisible man in the sky can listen in?
    Yes. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Well, then, there's not much to talk about, is there. You may as well be talking about the tooth fairy or the great and powerful Oz as far as I'm concerned.

just because Dnerd needs to troll-dance on God's grace and mercy does not make him/her graceless, ignorant or backwater. It does look like a passionate questioner is negotiating his/her search for meaning in this mess of a life.
    If there is a battle, it's not yours -- it belongs to the Holy Spirit.
    Love Dnerd as he is. Questions and ridicule come no-extra-charge while bridging the gap with faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    just because Dnerd needs to troll-dance on God's grace and mercy does not make him/her graceless, ignorant or backwater. It does look like a passionate questioner is negotiating his/her search for meaning in this mess of a life.
    If there is a battle, it's not yours -- it belongs to the Holy Spirit.
    Love Dnerd as he is. Questions and ridicule come no-extra-charge while bridging the gap with faith.
    While you and others are praying can you ask the 'Holy Spirit' why he/she allows children to be murdered in the city. Ask why he allows a significant percentage of children in the ctiy to live in poverty, etc.

You can tahnk your 'Holy Spirit' for what he has done for you but I'll look at the city and ask the 'Holy Spirit' why he does done this to so many people.

I would argue that the backlash against Christian prayer, the overall theme of the responses on this thread, make Michigan, particularly Detroit, look not liberal or conservative, but ignorant, graceless, and backwater.
    So you are stating that people don't support being preached to are ignorant, graceless and backwater?

Default Detroit Prayer Walk draws thousands downtown to proclaim faith in Jesus Christ can he

Detroit needs all the prayers it can get....

http://www.freep.com/article/2011041...ey=mod|mostcom

This is about as close as I get to religion: Pastafarianism.

http://www.venganza.org/

I may not be a "religious" type of person but it's about time these churches ban together and do what Jesus would do. Get these folks hot meals and free medical care and pray like there is no tomorrow for this city, this state, this country, and this world. We need miracles... bring it!

While you and others are praying can you ask the 'Holy Spirit' why he/she allows children to be murdered in the city. Ask why he allows a significant percentage of children in the ctiy to live in poverty, etc.

From Gerald Manly Hopkins:
    The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
    Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
    Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; Bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
    Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
    And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
    Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings

Just look around you and you'll see all the Jeebus you need to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post

From Gerald Manly Hopkins:
    The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
    Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
    Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; Bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
    Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
    And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
    Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.
    The always convenient argument of [[1) Anything good is attributed to the grace of god [[2) anything bad is attributed to man not accepting god's graceSorry, logic would dictate that good and bad are attributed to man or god but splitting the two to suit your needs rings pretty hollow.

The topic of religion, whether it be Christian, Jewish or Muslim, always seems to bring out one overriding inconsitency in the application of its logic.

We say - It's wrong to stereotype/profile and say all black people are X because of the one black person we've encountered.

We say - It's wrong to stereotype/profile and say all single mothers with four kids are X because of the one we've encountered.

We say - It's wrong to stereotype/profile and say all white people are X because of the behavior of one we've encountered.

But yet it is okay to dismiss an entire religion because of the behaviors of a few people we've encountered.

From a logical perspective - how do you explain that inconsistency?

Hey, I don't think the creator is that involved that he prevents or allows bad to happen here in Detroit a or Bangladesh or anywhere. We are responsible. I note the thousands of streetfront store/churches in Detroit and, seeing that Detroit goes daily backwards, think that God is mocked by such emotional, unreasonable faith - not that it matters to the creator.

However, prayer seems to keep the prayers on the path to right living such as the way the creator seems to have embedded in our nature - a way we know to be good. For some reason, praying people get a lot of sustained good done in the world.

You may not agree - but why do you feel the need to denigrate and sneer? that's always a tip-off to some deeper anger. Yes, I agree that religion often disappoints - but I must certainly acknowledge that many religious people are responsible for a lot of good.

Hey, I don't think the creator is that involved that he prevents or allows bad to happen here in Detroit a or Bangladesh or anywhere. We are responsible. I note the thousands of streetfront store/churches in Detroit and, seeing that Detroit goes daily backwards, think that God is mocked by such emotional, unreasonable faith - not that it matters to the creator.
    I think that we can all agree that many of the store front churches are run by crooks.

However, prayer seems to keep the prayers on the path to right living such as the way the creator seems to have embedded in our nature - a way we know to be good. For some reason, praying people get a lot of sustained good done in the world.
    This assumes that praying is what helps keep people on a decent path. It also seems to imply that those of us that do not pray don't get a lot of sustained good done in the world. I would argue that good people that put in the effort get a lot of sustained good done in the world. Praying or not praying has little to do with the actions and many that don't pray are doing a lot of good.

You may not agree - but why do you feel the need to denigrate and sneer? that's always a tip-off to some deeper anger. Yes, I agree that religion often disappoints - but I must certainly acknowledge that many religious people are responsible for a lot of good.
    Let me flip the question. Why do those that are religious feel the need to tell those of use that are not how we are wrong or quote the bible to show that their belief is right and mine is wrong? The sneering comes from living a lifetime of hearing from the religious types how [[1) My beliefs are wrong [[2) that those that are not faithful are less prone to do good in the world or [[3) we are just too dumb to understand. You keep your opinions in check and I'll keep mine in check but I can assure you that the ones on the religious side are much more likely to tell others they are wrong.

As for religious people doing good I agree. Now I ask that you acknowledge that many that aren't religious also do a lot of good and that most that aren't religious are just as decent as those that are.

Prayer is unneeded, action is needed

Christian morality is often a joke. You can break somebody's back to save their soul, right? No, I'm not down with that sort of old-time religion.

I am fine, as an atheist, with ethics. A lot of so-called "moral Christians" are regressive, homophobic, fearful, hate-filled people, especially among the evangelical set. So there you go.

I think the key word is "sustained" -the kind of good that, over the long term, through thick and thin and longer that one person's life-time, acts as an agent for good in the world. Religious faith animates sustained good. You can't argue that. I can't think of any other sustained non-political movement that has survived generations and the vagries of history.

I absolutely acknowledge that non-religios people are decent and good. And I remind you that you were the one sneering at the prayers downtown yesterday, not me.

I think the key word is "sustained" -the kind of good that, over the long term, through thick and thin and longer that one person's life-time, acts as an agent for good in the world. Religious faith animates sustained good. You can't argue that. I can't think of any other sustained non-political movement that has survived generations and the vagries of history.

I absolutely acknowledge that non-religios people are decent and good. And I remind you that you were the one sneering at the prayers downtown yesterday, not me.
    Actually, I was laughing. Evangelicals, for all the awful memes they spread, are amusing, at least. Anyway, if I want to sneer at religion, why not? Millions have died in the names of various gods. How many have died for atheism?

I can argue that. Religious faith has been and continues to be a reason/excuse for war, division, theft, etc. If you are going to give religion credit for the good you have to be willing to accept the bad that has come due to it. I'm not going to negate the good but I'm also not willing to ignore the bad [[as religions like to do).I absolutely acknowledge that non-religios people are decent and good. And I remind you that you were the one sneering at the prayers downtown yesterday, not me.
    Again, you completely missed the point about the arrogance and assumptions made by the religious everyday that those of us that are not religious must deal with. Sooooo, I have a simple question for you: Who tends to preach their beliefs more and in a more intrusive way - people that are religious or those of us that are not? Would you be annoyed if some came to your door weekly to preach the benefits of not being religious?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast