Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
I was in the prayer walk yesterday. The count for attendees at the rally was placed conservatively at 25,000+. Over 500 community churches came out in the cold and rainy weather to pray for and commit their time and effort to restore the people of Metro Detroit.

This is the largest coordinated inter-denominational effort to work together and help unify the region and tell the good news of Jesus Christ.

The prayer walk wasn't the end of it, only the beginning. Through E.A.C.H.- Everyone A Chance to Hear, [[www.eachtoday.com), we are working towards a goal One Million Hours of volunteering in Metro Detroit. Everything from several food campaigns, neighborhood prayer, adopt-a-neighborhood, helping the homeless, mowing, painting, garbage pick up, prayer and counseling, etc.

I believe that Detroit will be restored through the prayer and hard work of all of its citizens. Here is a Bible verse that I feel applies to Detroit, [[God speaking):

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 [[New International Version, ©2011)
13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.

P.S. For those who believe the statue near the Coleman Young City-County Building is named, “The Spirit of Detroit”, this is the Bible verse on the curved marble behind the statue:

2 Corinthians 3:17 [[New International Version, ©2011)
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
All sounds well and good, but a look at the overview section indicates nothing but proselytizing. In fact, the entire website appears just to offer ways to convert people.

http://eachtoday.com/home/who/each-overview/

Also, this is clearly not interfaith. This almost exclusively evangelical Christianity. I refer you to the "participating churches" section.

My issue is not with Christianity - I am a Christian, a Roman Catholic. This appears to be nothing more than an effort to convert people to evangelical Christianity, in a thinly-veiled guise of helping the city/region/people/whatever. Sorry, too inquisition-like for me. I would not want a someone trying to convert me to their religion or non-religion. I find solace in my belief system, and respect the beliefs of others that are different than mine.

Also, once again, I don't really get it from a practical sense. The city and the region is overwhelmingly Christian. As for the places that are not overwhelmingly Christian, such as Dearborn or Hamtramck, I think they are perfectly fine people as well. They have never done anything to me. So are we trying to be more Christian? Have less non-Christians? My best neighbor is non-religious, and my girlfriend is Jewish. I like them both the way they are.

In my opinion the best thing that could have come from that rally, march, whatever, is that those people probably got hungry and patronized local businesses. Now that kind of thing helps the city.