The layoff won't be effective until August 30th. That way, we can't collect unemployment. This will mean for the kids uncertainty about next year and who will be teaching them. The district won't get their act together and have teachers in place prior to the middle of August and then, as in the past, that might not happen either.

I'm a good teacher. My kids will tell you that. My former students will tell you that. I am pretty confident that I'll have a job next year, I'm just not sure I'll be able to live on what they want to pay me to do it. The timing is a power thing. So are the pink slips. With the talk of yanking our certificates, I don't think too many will strike. I know I won't. I LOVE teaching and it's what I set out to do with my life. I'm not ready to give it up just yet so I can't afford to lose my certification. I spent too much money and time to get where I am and I think I'd be clinically depressed if I couldn't teach. I love my kids in DPS. I don't think I'd love kids as much elsewhere. There is just something about DPS kids that makes my job fun, interesting, heartbreaking, and worthwhile. I'm not ready to give up on them so i guess I'll continue to fight the fight...for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
I am sorry to hear this for all those affected.

What does this mean for the students? Is there class tomorrow? Next week? The rest of this school year? The article doesn't make a great deal about the details clear...

Is the timing due to a budgetary wall that was come up against where continuing was impossible, or is this a timing issue to hold the power?