I am an amateur when it comes to cycling, but I am trying to make it my primary, fair-weather form of transportation, second only to walking. The problem is, Detroit does not have many bike lanes. True, there is the Dequndre Cut, which is awesome, and the Riverwalk, which is even more awesome, but these bike-ways are designed more for recreation than for practical travel.

For bicycling to work for me, I need to get to various places on a daily basis, such as from my apartment downtown to Midtown, to businesses on East Jefferson, to Corktown, etc. However, I have quickly realized that riding a bike along the curb on Woodward, Jefferson, and Michigan Avenue is freaking treacherous. Drivers seem to be annoyed and tailgate me, they pass by extremely close and at high speeds, the right lane of many streets is usually lined with parked cars, which forces me into traffic, and I've nearly been hit by cars pulling out of parking garages and driveways. The point is: It sucks!

So, here's my question: Do you think it is okay for bikes to ride on sidewalks in Detroit? Some cities with heavy pedestrian traffic have ordinances against bikes on sidewalks, but Detroit does not. Regardless, I have seen a number of cyclists riding in the street in Detroit, but for me, it makes every trip miserable because I keep worrying that I'm going to get clipped. Going forward, I want to start riding on the sidewalk when traffic is heavy and when I can't take a side street. I feel bad for pedestrians who have to put up with me doing this, but until Detroit puts in some bike lanes, it's not worth the risk of getting mowed over by the side-view mirror of some asshole's SUV.

This is the municipal law on point:

Sec. 55-9-12. - Riding on sidewalks.
No person may ride a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle upon sidewalks. Persons may ride bicycles upon sidewalks; provided, that such persons shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrians; provided, that this provision shall in no way restrict the authority of the recreation department with relation to public parks and play areas.
[[Code 1964, § 38-6-11)