Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So Bobb has a plan. What's your plan? And let's not have rhetoric, like empower students. Practical steps that have been elsewhere.

If you don't believe in Rhee or Bobb, then in whom do you believe?

Let's have some positive, constructive commentary!

The problems with DPS performance don't start in the schools and can't be fixed in the schools. Unfortunately, fixing society doesn't seem to have a big constituency.

I think perhaps Detroit should take a slightly broader approach and look at James Heckman's research on early childhood ed and see if we can ameliorate the situation. For instance, check out http://www.heckmanequation.org/ And regardless of whether that particular solution works, we need to have actual evaluation of results so that we can stop spending money on ineffective things. Which is why I think there should be no DPS at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    ...Unfortunately, fixing society doesn't seem to have a big constituency.
    Seems like we spend a lot on social programs, and that about 1/2 of the population is OK with the expense -- believing we should continue even during hard times. [[Seems more productive to me to spend on social programs than unemployment and jails.)

I think perhaps Detroit should take a slightly broader approach and look at James Heckman's research on early childhood ed and see if we can ameliorate the situation. For instance, check out http://www.heckmanequation.org/
    Never read anything with more buzzwords --sustain, invest, grow, health, outcomes, etc. -- but that said, I agree that we would be wise to find ways to 'invest'. What's positive about his work is that he is connecting current childhood maltreatment with future costs to society. In this he's spot on.[/QUOTE]

...we need to have actual evaluation of results so that we can stop spending money on ineffective things. Which is why I think there should be no DPS at all.
    Connect the dots here. What are we spending money on that isn't producing results, in your opinion?

Connect the dots here. What are we spending money on that isn't producing results, in your opinion?
    The DPS as a totality. When the NEAP results showed that the great majority of DPS students tested scored no better than chance, that pretty much told me that for most students, all that is being accomplished at the DPS is babysitting. So I think we should get rid of it. The few functional schools could be moved under some other administrative structure

I want to be clear. I don't think this is just because the DPS has been incompetently run, although I think the evidence would indicate that is the case. I think it is because they have a near-impossible job that no one knows how to do. But I'd rather spend the money on something that might be useful.
    Last edited by mwilbert; April-10-11 at 10:02 PM. Reason: fix word order

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You should read Kevgoblue's post again. He explains why Bobb gets 425K. He is getting his salary from the state supplemented from outside groups. The state alone is paying him $280,000 and yet outside groups felt he deserved another $145,000. Wouldn't you like to go to work and said group contacted you and said that you deserved more so they were going to supplement your income? I would
    Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.
    For Bobb, it's nice to have friends in high places.

Ya know...we just received something in our email that said we [[employees of DPS) were not supposed to accept gifts over 100.00 from anyone as it relates to our job. Guess that doesn't apply to Bobb, since he's not employed by DPS [[technically). Must be nice. Maybe the head honcho should practice what he preaches!? Oh wait...doubt he'd still be here if he didn't have that extra salary. Shit, for half a million I'd stick around, too.

We heard rumor that his wife is involved in charter schools. Not sure what role she plays but we can't find any info on her. We do know he leaves on Thursdays and returns on Monday nights so he can go home for the weekend, flying first class, no doubt.

Bobb will not win for governor. He will be like a Snyder Democrat; downsizing Michigan to a point that looks like Detroit Public Schools. HE WILL LOSE in a flash!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Bobb will not win for governor. He will be like a Snyder Democrat; downsizing Michigan to a point that looks like Detroit Public Schools. HE WILL LOSE in a flash!
    RobBob doesn't need to run for governor. He make more on a EFM salary than the governor plus he has the power of a dictator. The governor still has to answer to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The DPS as a totality. ...snip... But I'd rather spend the money on something that might be useful.
    Thank you.

I agree, but think you need to spend the money on education. I'd regionalize all schools, with equal per-student funding across district lines. Double teacher's salaries, with the ability to be more selective, as some union's have declined. [[Yes some teachers will be abused, but they'll survive if they're good, and the kids are more important than a few mistakes.) Give administrators more power to do what they want. Less control from Lansing and Washington, and allow parents to decided what schools to send their kids to. If the schools can't get attendance, close 'em. If they grow, so be it.

The point of Heckman's work is that you need to spend money on education and parent support before the age of five. Spending it on conventional school is apparently too late, so it would seem sensible to try spending some of the money now spent on those schools to be diverted to the younger kids. If that doesn't work, we'll need to try something else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2