Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Not only that, but Dave Camp of Michigan buys in to the same irrational thinking in terms of the United States budget as well. They want to drop the rate to 25%. How they will pay for this will be an attack on some middle class entitlements, such as the mortgage interest deduction, the deduction for charitable contributions and the exclusion for employer-provided health insurance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...reak-cuts.html
    First and foremost, any loophole that General Electric in their quest to avoid paying any taxes should be closed. Collecting taxes from GE and other companies who are surely 'gaming' the system would probably take care of a huge portion of the projected revenue shortfall.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    It isn't your time I'm concerned with, it's my taxpayer money.

One of the criticisms of Snyder during his campaign was that he said cuts would be "painful," but did not get into specifics. He did drop serious hints about the film incentives, and most could speculate about what the "deep cuts" and "friendlier business climate" meant. People voted, more people voted for him. Trying to get a "do-over" at the expense of other taxpayers is not what a recall is for.

Crowing about film incentives being taken away in the same sentence as crowing about added business incentives is arguing from both sides.

I smell a partisan argument, not a recall one. Is Snyder gonna do this on his own? No. Isn't there a legislature? Yes. Majority his party? Yes. Likelihood of getting much of this passed? One party that isn't mine has a majority...boo!...recall!!

I didn't like Granholm's re-election. I wanted DeVos to win just to get her out. That wasn't grounds for a recall.
    Well that is why we have a process....like it or not the recall will probably happen. You don't have to sign it.... I served in the army so that your and my rights as a citizen are perserved.....this is my right.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Well that is why we have a process....like it or not the recall will probably happen. You don't have to sign it.... I served in the army so that your and my rights as a citizen are perserved.....this is my right.
    It isn't about what I like or don't like. I'm not that emotionally attached to these things.

You need to have a specific reason and I fail to see a specific reason, which is why a recall likely will not happen. I fail to see how the argument that the business tax incentives are terrible, but so was ending an "I'll pay you to be my friend" money giveaway under the guise of film incentives. I get that people are mad about the pension thing, but there is nothing to suggest that he wouldn't do something like this...[[and, I don't mind it. I'll never see a dime of the Social Security I've been paying into for 20 years).

Thanks for your service to this country, and there are certainly larger wastes of taxpayer money than what might be spent on a recall. I just think it is a windmill fight on the specificity stuff. Good luck to you anyways.

My guess is that most of the people who want him recalled are just worred about not getting their gubament/jenny/obama cheeze.

Well it appears that the majority of us are sick of paying for those who choose not to better themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    First and foremost, any loophole that General Electric in their quest to avoid paying any taxes should be closed. Collecting taxes from GE and other companies who are surely 'gaming' the system would probably take care of a huge portion of the projected revenue shortfall.
    First and foremost, the success of our political system requires an informed citizenry. Where's your evidence that GE is gaming the system and not paying any taxes? Just because you read it in the NY Times doesn't make it so:

Setting The Record Straight on GE’s Taxes

I do like the name, its a play on the "Citizens United" Supreme Court case that took away any cap on corporate donations to political campaigns.
    Didn't that case also take away any cap on union donations to political campaigns?

Augustiner Guest

I guess my question is, who's going to run to replace Snyder in this recall election? The field last year was awfully damn thin, and I don't see a viable challenger on the horizon. It doesn't matter how mad people are at Snyder, if nobody decent runs against him he'll likely just win again.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Didn't that case also take away any cap on union donations to political campaigns?
    yes. something you rarely hear repeated in the standard set of talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Just because you read it in the NY Times doesn't make it so:
    Oh, right. What was I thinking? But I guess the much less known link you sent probably trumps the paper that's been around for 160 years and has won more Pulitzer Prizes than any other news source. How silly of me.
    Last edited by sirrealone; April-08-11 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    .....the paper that's been around for 160 years and has won more Pulitzer Prizes than any other news source.....
    You mean the paper that won the 1932 "International Reporting" Pulitzer Prize for Walter Duranty's discredited "reporting" on the Soviet Union?

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    I guess my question is, who's going to run to replace Snyder in this recall election? The field last year was awfully damn thin, and I don't see a viable challenger on the horizon. It doesn't matter how mad people are at Snyder, if nobody decent runs against him he'll likely just win again.
    I believe the roll of Gov falls to the Lt. Gov.

oh, they have a web site up and running, firericksnyder.net . According to the site, they are planning to collect the million signatures btw july 1 and Aug 5th in order to get on the Nov 5 election. Someone either has a ton of spare time or two tons of money to spend.

Couldn't find any names behind this venture. The 'About Us' link was confusing to me, not the usual stuff you see.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    So a recall doesn't even trigger an actual election? I guess I assumed it did because that's what happened in California when Arnold got in, but I don't know what Michigan law actually says. If it would just replace Snyder with Calley then I don't understand the point of this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

oh, they have a web site up and running, firericksnyder.net . According to the site, they are planning to collect the million signatures btw july 1 and Aug 5th in order to get on the Nov 5 election. Someone either has a ton of spare time or two tons of money to spend.

Couldn't find any names behind this venture. The 'About Us' link was confusing to me, not the usual stuff you see.
    it's firericksnyder.ORG not .net and the "About Us" page states:
    About Us
    We are Michigan Citizens United. This PAC [[Political Action Committee) was founded in March 2011, as a result of, and in opposition to what we perceive as a direct threat to the democratic values held by the people of Michigan. This threat, perpetrated by Gov. Rick Snyder, certain State Representatives and their allies signifies a systematic attack on the quality of life, liberty and institutional well being of all Michigan's citizens.

these same dolts initiating a recall of snyder after only 3 months in office will probably vote for Obama the next election....

the ignorance is amazing but really not unexpected......

Default A waste of time and money

I didn’t vote for Snyder because he’s not a Republican and has never been one. He only ran as Republican because there was no way a Democrat was going to get elected this time around. I voted for some 3rd party “Taxpayer Party” candidate or something. But the point I want to make is that we wouldn’t be in this financial mess if Granholm had made even the slightest attempt to get the budget in order during 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2010. The state lost jobs every year she was in office. She raised taxes and fees on everything and spent every penny and more and we have nothing good to show for it. Everybody knew that this big budget deficit was going to hit as soon as the Federal money from Obama ran out last year. Trying to recall Snyder is just a waste of time and money.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    these same dolts initiating a recall of snyder after only 3 months in office will probably vote for Obama the next election....

the ignorance is amazing but really not unexpected......

Ignorance because they choose to exercise their rights under a Democratic system of Government?

The question should be why does Goose hate our system of government? Do you have any other rights that you would like to take away from others?

So a recall doesn't even trigger an actual election? I guess I assumed it did because that's what happened in California when Arnold got in, but I don't know what Michigan law actually says. If it would just replace Snyder with Calley then I don't understand the point of this at all.
    From this source:

If the number of valid signatures are sufficient, an election will be held on the next general election date that is not less than 95 days after the date the recall petition was filed.

If the recall is successful, a special election is conducted on the next regular election date to fill the office vacancy.

Finally, some community social action! When I see one of MCU folks with the petition I WILL SIGN IT IMMEDIATELY! Snyder, THE NERD must go!

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    From this source:

If the number of valid signatures are sufficient, an election will be held on the next general election date that is not less than 95 days after the date the recall petition was filed.

If the recall is successful, a special election is conducted on the next regular election date to fill the office vacancy.
    Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I guess my original question stands, then: assuming the recall is successful, who are the possible candidates, which ones are capable of beating Snyder, and where the hell were they in 2010?

Vox Guest

I'd vote for Oakland County treasurer Andy Misener in a heartbeat. Smart, and pragmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I'd vote for Oakland County treasurer Andy Misener in a heartbeat. Smart, and pragmatic.
    and the second he did something you didn't agree with...organize a recall campaign and boot his ass out!

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    and the second he did something you didn't agree with...organize a recall campaign and boot his ass out!
    Within the rights of any citizen of the state. Of course no Governor has pissed as many people off at once, either.

You probably think that impeaching Clinton was a good thing too, so you should talk.

You know, now that I think about it, maybe we should get rid of the guy before we have a chance to see whether or not anything he wants to try might actually work, and let's make sure we put someone in that keeps spending money that we don't have.

Where do I sign?

]Within the rights of any citizen of the state. Of course no Governor has pissed as many people off at once, either.
    If you'd care to venture outside the union hall, you'd notice there is a large portion of the population that is not at all angry with Snyder thus far. Again, after 8 years of epic fail and complete political cowardice, it's nice to see someone at least making a decision and presenting a plan.

You probably think that impeaching Clinton was a good thing too, so you should talk
    Frankly, no. I believe that recalls are pointless in all but the most egregious situations, by that I mean criminal activity, treason, or dereliction of duty. Getting a blowie from a fat intern and being circumspect about it is hardly something that should rise to that level of politcal action. It's been 6 months stop being petulant children. you get another try with another backward looking and wholly owned union shill in 4 years.

I'd support a recall if for no other reason than we're in a perpetual state of campaigning as it is now. Our election cycle starts immediately after a winner gives their acceptance speech.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast