Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

What is wrong with you guys? This looks like a beautiful project. It will provide all Detroiters with a lot of great new opportunities for learning & shopping. EM is one of our core areas and it deserves the renovations and investment that it is seeing. Just because it is coming from the top down does not mean that it is bad. Do you really think these improvements will turn away regular Detroiters? It's not like they're going to start charging an entrance fee. I think these additions and improvements will help attract even more people.

How exactly would you like to see EM improved? Leave all the dumpy sheds untouched and under-utilized? The current indoor & outdoor shed restorations have been a tremendous improvement over what was there before, and they have not changed the character or genuineness of the district in the least. In fact, they've added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    What is wrong with you guys? This looks like a beautiful project. It will provide all Detroiters with a lot of great new opportunities for learning & shopping. EM is one of our core areas and it deserves the renovations and investment that it is seeing. Just because it is coming from the top down does not mean that it is bad. Do you really think these improvements will turn away regular Detroiters? It's not like they're going to start charging an entrance fee. I think these additions and improvements will help attract even more people.

How exactly would you like to see EM improved? Leave all the dumpy sheds untouched and under-utilized? The current indoor & outdoor shed restorations have been a tremendous improvement over what was there before, and they have not changed the character or genuineness of the district in the least. In fact, they've added to it.
    I disagree. For one, the old sheds were not bad looking, in fact, they were beautiful. But they were rotting and falling apart, hence the replacement. And yes
    they are very nice, although I do miss the food kiosk, with the bench seating
    surrounding it. It's nice to have somewhere for the older folk to sit a spell, so they can then continue shopping, instead of just leaving...agreed?
    In the summertime, when things are hopping, those sheds, old or new, are NOT
    underutilized. At other times, the market is CLOSED. Now, if they decide to extend
    the hours of operation past the traditional 4:00am-3:00pm, set by the hours kept
    by the previously mentioned slaughter houses and produce exchanges.....
    then maybe something drastically different would have to be achieved.
    But then that wouldn't be the Eastern Market anymore.
    That would be more like a supermarket, from what I deducted from the proposed pics. posted.
    I vote...No supermarket in this area. Move it down the street.
    This town is plenty big enough, and empty enough, for this idea to flourish elsewhere. IMHO.