Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

rb, I think it most certainly is orchestrated. Monsanto seems as adept as Goldman Sachs in it's ability to get it's executives into starring roles in both Democratic and Republican administrations where they determine policy.

The regulation I read last night requires permits and nothing is allowed to be burned with a permit if it is a pile larger than 4'x4'x3'high. I was alerted to this at our Town Board's annual meeting. I read the permit last night as posted in a restaurant foyer. I am clearing one stretch right now. First, I cleared out the thicket [[good Anglo word) of prickly ash, huckleberry bushes, wild grape vine, and box elder all tangled together and now I have 18 trees averaging about 8" to take down. This is all chain saw work so the more cutting I do, the more danger I am in; not a priority for the folks waving their wands in Madison or in our County seat I guess. I just cited that as the most recent, hours old, example I could think of to answer maxx's question.

Ron and Rand Paul, Bernie Sanders, and I suspect Sen. Lee are non-corporatists. Ron Paul has time for constituents because lobbyists have long ago given up trying to buy him. He even votes against farm subsidies. They want to cut corporate welfare. To get this a bit more back on topic, I am surprised that liberals, with all their touted grey matter, cannot recognize that the regulatory role of government is often perverted by folks like the Goldman Sachs and Monsanto moles designing the regulations for their own benefits. It isn't that complex but they miss that or choose to overlook it as in the health care bill in which pharmacies and insurance companies did so well.

oladub:
    Two out of your three examples were about local and state gov. which you prefer. As for the food supply issue, that is a result of conservative actions which have turned our national gov. over to corporate interests. You know what the solution to that is. Public Citizen is working on it. If you elect people who believe that gov. cannot do anything right, you shouldn't be surprised when those people spend their time in gov. proving their point.

I am surprised that liberals, with all their touted grey matter, cannot recognize that the regulatory role of government is often perverted by folks like the Goldman Sachs and Monsanto moles designing the regulations for their own benefits.
    And crooks can always find a way around laws, but we don't stop making laws.
    Last edited by maxx; April-13-11 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    oladub:
    As for the food supply issue, that is a result of conservative actions which have turned our national gov. over to corporate interests. You know what the solution to that is. Public Citizen is working on it. If you elect people who believe that gov. cannot do anything right, you shouldn't be surprised when those people spend their time in gov. proving their point.
    Nope, Democrats are every bit as involved in corporate ag as Republicans. Start with Monsanto as represented in the Obama vs. Bush administrations; about the same. Government programs usually benefit wealthier land owners. Democrats supported SB 510 by a wider margin than Republicans though. It gave market advantages to corporate farms. Former Gov. Doyle [[D) stepped right up and obliged Wisconsin farmers to sign up with NAIS; an overreaching Homeland Security program again coming down harder on small farmers.

I forgot. Another thing I heard last night but haven't confirmed is that the federal government had so much money left over that it gave money to state regional planning commissions. I know where that goes and it isn't usually good for rural property owners who have to comply with all the new plans exuding from unelected bureaucrats.

Where did maxx say anything about republicans or dems? he said conservative. There is a huge difference. There is only one democrat in congress that is a real liberal, and that is Kucinich. The vast majority of dems [[including Obama) are moderate conservatives in the Gov. Milliken/Ike mode. Most of the rest are blue dogs.

There is only one democrat in congress that is a real liberal, and that is Kucinich
    There are more than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congres...ressive_Caucus

The day Harry Waxman is considered "liberal" by any real liberal is the day I will donate again the the Democratic party. the vast majority of those members are centrist dems except Bernie and Dennis. If you call a porcupine a pillow, it doesn't make it a good place to rest your head at night.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    the vast majority of those members are centrist dems except Bernie and Dennis. If you call a porcupine a pillow, it doesn't make it a good place to rest your head at night.
    Unfortunately most cons think a "D" next to a person's name automatically means they are liberal because Rush told them so.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Where did maxx say anything about republicans or dems? he said conservative. There is a huge difference. There is only one democrat in congress that is a real liberal, and that is Kucinich. The vast majority of dems [[including Obama) are moderate conservatives in the Gov. Milliken/Ike mode. Most of the rest are blue dogs.
    And most Republicans these days aren't the least bit conservative.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; April-14-11 at 12:54 PM.

CBS News covered this story last night: CBS looks into brain differences in conservatives, liberals. Video at the link.

As with all things, there is a continuum. Extreme Liberals and and extreme Conservatives at either pole and all the variations in between. My experience leads me to believe that conservatives are very good at "cause and effect" thinking. Judging by watching and listening to everyone from Fox to Faux conservative Colbert the complexity of thought is missing.

Liberals tend to spend time more using "systems thinking" to analyze the world. Lots of variables which interact with each other to consider and not all of them equally important to the end decision.

It's been my experience that understanding Colbert Conservatism is the key to understanding how the Right Wing mind works.

This study leads me to believe herding conservatives into a stampede is easy. Herding liberals is much harder...much like herding cats. And depending on your POV, that is either a good or bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    And most Republicans these days aren't the least bit conservative.
    For most of the last century, Republicans were the party of business interests. As campaigns have become more and more expensive, most candidates have had to court the people with big money. But the Dems still make some attempt to improve the average person's lot through better healthcare and working conditions. Clinton passed the Family Leave Act which I think the Republicans rushed to undo almost as fast as Reagan took the solar panels off the White House.

Good analysis, Omaha. There is nothing more boring to the average mind than a complex answer to a question. Unfortunately, modern media incline people to have shorter attention spans and less real information about basic issues.

That is also the way the evolution deniers can bring up the second law of thermodynamics. They know there is no simple understandable way to counter their charge regarding the law.
    Last edited by maxx; April-23-11 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
    As with all things, there is a continuum. Extreme Liberals and and extreme Conservatives at either pole and all the variations in between. My experience leads me to believe that conservatives are very good at "cause and effect" thinking. Judging by watching and listening to everyone from Fox to Faux conservative Colbert the complexity of thought is missing.

Liberals tend to spend time more using "systems thinking" to analyze the world. Lots of variables which interact with each other to consider and not all of them equally important to the end decision.

It's been my experience that understanding Colbert Conservatism is the key to understanding how the Right Wing mind works.

This study leads me to believe herding conservatives into a stampede is easy. Herding liberals is much harder...much like herding cats. And depending on your POV, that is either a good or bad thing.
    Or maybe liberals just make all systems more complex and that is why they fail. Neo-cons and liberals are both easily herded. Exhibit A: liberals on this board have gone silent to mildly supporting Obama's unconstitutional war on the Libyan government. Had Bush bombed Libya there would have been outrage but when Obama expand a war or attacks another country... crickets; the libs go along like sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Exhibit A: liberals on this board have gone silent to mildly supporting Obama's unconstitutional war on the Libyan government. Had Bush bombed Libya there would have been outrage but when Obama expand a war or attacks another country... crickets; the libs go along like sheep.
    And the cons like Gingrich flip-flop hammering the Pres on the no-fly zone and when he does that he criticized him for instituting it.

When was the last constitutionally declared war ? I believe it was WW II

On at least 125 occasions thru out history the President has acted without prior express military authorization from Congress.

You make it seem like Obama is doing something no other president has done. There have been so many wars and/or military engagements since that time and all were unconstitutional. However at least this engagement was authorized by United Nations Security Council and funded by Congress.

The crickets you heard may be because people are giving him the benefit of the doubt on this particular situation.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    And the cons like Gingrich flip-flop hammering the Pres on the no-fly zone and when he does that he criticized him for instituting it.

When was the last constitutionally declared war ? I believe it was WW II

On at least 125 occasions thru out history the President has acted without prior express military authorization from Congress.

You make it seem like Obama is doing something no other president has done. There have been so many wars and/or military engagements since that time and all were unconstitutional. However at least this engagement was authorized by United Nations Security Council and funded by Congress.
    You omited my sentence, "Neo-cons and liberals are both easily herded" which included the like of Gingrich who supported Bush's unconstitutional wars as did Senator Obama.

You are correct about WWII being the last Constitutionally declared war. That doesn't excuse the rest. Only Congress is authorized to declare war. Obama has done something that even Bush didn't do. Bush asked Congress to hand over it's decision power to him as to whether or not to wage war on Iraq. Congress did although it had no more authority do do so than the Supreme Court has to allow any President to decide it's cases. Obama went further down the trail by not even asking for the illegal power to do Congress' job. Obama instituted an act of war without even involving Congress.

Kucinich calls Obama’s attack on Libya ‘an impeachable offense.

The crickets you heard may be because people are giving him the benefit of the doubt on this particular situation.
    My point exactly. The sheeple are giving Obama the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    You omited my sentence, "Neo-cons and liberals are both easily herded" which included the like of Gingrich.
    Newt's more of the religious right rather than a neo-con. If the right wing keeps splintering like this, they will give the left a run for their money in terms of different factions!

oladub: Or maybe liberals just make all systems more complex and that is why they fail.
    It is simpler to have no regs and no taxes, but the consequences would be disastrous for most of us,

maxx, Cheer up. No one said anything about "no regs and no taxes". The topic had to do with liberals having" more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity". What you need is a government that can make everything complex.

A Rube Goldberg machine, device, [[or government) or apparatus is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion, usually including a chain reaction" -wikipedia

"We’ve done a poor job of managing contraction, which is the fate of societies that have piled up too much complexity."
    -James Howard Kunstler

Hmmmn... Sometimes I'm not sure there are differences per se - LOL!!!

But I've found it useful to have ones brain synapse active to the fact that the party of 'self interest' is behind most of the partisan window dressing and subterfuge...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3