Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Do they change or is that deep blue their only colour? And can they display text message? [[Would be hard to read though....)
    All of the boards are LED. They are just like what you see in modern ballparks and arenas, i.e. the boards at Comerica Park. The 100 Tower [[Western Tower fronting Jefferson) has the Marriot Logo [[even though it is completely unreadable). While the Red Wings were in the playoffs, the GM logo would cycle [[every 2 minutes for 30 seconds) to the Red Wings logo and a red and white stripe on the ribbon boards. For Opening Day, the same was done for the Tigers, Old English D and Blue and Orange Stripes. The boards are capable of doing whatever they want them to do. Wouldn't be surprised if they are green on St. Patty's Day!

5/28/2011

Name:  ren-cen.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  47.6 KB

I'll try for a night image soon.

Wow! Great shot, Don.

Don is our aerial image whiz kid....

5-29-2011

Name:  rencen-lights.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  22.3 KB

While attending The Techno Fest.

That is a good one with those lowering clouds. I like the light rings.

I must say that really looks cool! A real addition to the skyline of Detroit.

I've been noticing the colors are rotating tonight....orange, green, yellow, blue. I guess that's a rainbow for Pridefest? Clever!

Name:  IMG00024-20110604-2020.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  37.1 KB
    Name:  IMG00022-20110604-2012.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  22.0 KB
    Name:  IMG00023-20110604-2015.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  21.1 KB

Does'nt it interfere with airport regulations? Over here in my city, Leeuwarden in the Netherlands, the top of the 114 meter high Avero tower originally had a green rim fitted on the top. On orders of te airforce they had to change that to red so jetfighters could see the beacon for miles ahead.

It used to look like this.

Daytime.

Now the top is red. Gorious picture by the way!

View from the top. The night picture was taken from that bridge down there.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-04-11 at 08:27 PM.

Check out the Detroit Skyline images on detroit.justweather.com and you can see the different LED colors...

http://detroit.justweather.com/alman...382&tab=w143lb

Quote Originally Posted by toog09 View Post
    Check out the Detroit Skyline images on detroit.justweather.com and you can see the different LED colors...

http://detroit.justweather.com/alman...382&tab=w143lb

That's AWESOME!! Thanks for the link. Bits and pieces one at a time. It didn't get this way overnight.

There is a red beacon on the antenna tower on top of the building. I guess that satisfies the air regs. It doesn't show on the pictures. The LEDs look far brighter than the red beacon anyway. Also, it's been a while since we had to send up jet fighters to defend against Canada.

This is what I mean. On the top left is the airforce base, at "A" is the tower.

GM illuminated the towers the rainbow colors for the pride festival on the weekend, It looked very cool,
    My out of town partner from cleveland was very impressed, thought it was very forward thinking and a unique idea.
    Cant believe Im finally hearing postive reactions from out of towners about our town. I always think there is hope.

Check out GM NOW! Its showing all its brand car logo's! Cool! ...GMC, Cadillac, Lincoln, Chevy, etc...pretty sweet!

Lincoln????

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Lincoln????
    Didn't you hear? Government Motors forced FoMoCo to give them the brand.

lol my bad. You know the others?

Has anyone seen this video??!!!

Great soundtrack by Deodato - Also sprach Zaratustra., a reworking of the Wagner classic from the Ring der Nebelungen opera.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-08-11 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Has anyone seen this video??!!!
    Wow. That is wild, man.

That was cooool!

Stromberg2

DETROIT [[AP) — Leopard print patterns may not dance around the Detroit Renaissance Center’s towers, but city officials are looking into revamping a zoning ordinance to allow tiger stripes and local sports logos to shimmy and shimmer atop the downtown building.

Detroit City Council planner Gregory Moots says the Planning Commission and the RenCen’s property manager are looking at amending the city code so that themed, multicolored bands can join the recently added solid rings of green, blue and red.

General Motors Co. owns the towers, which also serve as its world headquarters.

Moots said GM wants to use the display and huge electronic signs to highlight city events. Logos of the Detroit Tigers baseball team and hockey’s Detroit Red Wings have been featured but aren’t part of the zoning agreement with the city.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/110609881#

There's actually a quirky back story to the zoning issues. GM wanted to put a rainbow up for the gay pride folks, prompting a whole bunch of questions from the city:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...or-rencen-sign

That video made Detroit look awful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3