Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    That is true. I just saw some statistics about hauling freight on trains versus semi's and I was amazed at the projected fuel savings. The roads might last a little longer too.
    Trains make sense for very long hauls for many goods. For other goods distribution factors in more than the cost of fuel. Things such as time and the ability to get the product to the destination are also important.

For some trips the railways may be too congested for shipping by rail to make economic sense. Yes it does happen, particularly in hubs such as Chicago or Kansas City. Unfortunately the growth of giant stores mean that they need lots of stock. This makes shipping by truck even more cost-effective. 40 years ago grocery stores were much smaller and they had thier distribution places locally. Many of these distribution centers were located right off the railroad tracks. A and P and Farmer Jack for example controlled much of the railroad S of I-96 between Southfield and Burt. Another big warehouse was just off of I-94 by 16th.

With the growth of the mega stores like Meijer or Wal Mart mega distribution centers evolved you can see Wal Mart's just N of Coldwater off of I-69 and Meijer has a local one where I-75 and I-275 intersect in Monroe County.

If we're going to complain about the cost of oil and gas, let's start with Alaska and Sarah Palin and the windfall tax she approved while Governor.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...askatax07.html