Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Sprint 4G in Detroit launched?

After the article in the paper on 4G in Detroit, I started getting a little pissed off. As a Sprint customer for nearly a decade, an owner of and EVO since November, as well as switching from Comcast to Sprint's 3G/4G hotspot in November, I've been patiently waiting for 4G to launch.

After the article, I checked my current 3G speeds, which hovered in the .76 mbs range. The article listed Verizon as having the fastest service at 37 mbs in the downtown area! I was preparing to call Sprint in a month or two, once my wife's Sprint contract expires, and pay the $200 fee to break my contract for our 3G/4G hotspot. Today, I noticed that service seemed significantly better, as I could now stream videos without waiting for them to load. A speed test proved that rates were now 2.5 mbs. In addition, I see that my hotspot is picking up a 4G signal, albeit at a weak 20% signal strength. My EVO seems to be spuratically grabbing a 4G signal too.

Anybody else experiencing the same? What surprises me is that Sprint has made no announcements, and today is the first day my internet is noticably faster. Is 4G knocking on our door? Are they preparing for an unannounced launch, or just doing testing? Most importantly, is anybody in metro Detroit picking up 4G with Sprint?
    Last edited by Supersport; March-29-11 at 07:17 PM.