Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So really the question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of public or private ownership of the bridge and can state taxpayers afford to build a bridge when they have a city in trouble and other infrastructure that is needing to be updated to continue into the future,forget for a second who is behind it and why on the private side.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So really the question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of public or private ownership of the bridge and can state taxpayers afford to build a bridge when they have a city in trouble and other infrastructure that is needing to be updated to continue into the future,forget for a second who is behind it and why on the private side.
    Yes. But it's hard to ignore the rather broad coalition behind the Canadian solution and the only endorsement of Maroun's plan seems to be coming from the esteemed editorial board of "Toll Road Today"

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It is really not that simple. Number one, not for one second is this going to be completely "privately" funded. Maroun takes advantage of all sort of tax breaks and deals, the most recent of which [[the ramp, duty free) he tried to take extra advantage of and it blew up in his face. Part of what he is trying to do, to my understanding, is leverage a number of tax credits he already has.

Second, Canada has offered what, a $500 million dollar deal to cover costs [[and effectively allow the state to continue receiving matching federal funds for infrastructure) up front? There are twice as many local jobs created by this project [[10,000), and the second bridge is obviously a tangible benefit. [[A little bit different than the film incentive thing). There is a lot to consider.

Sidenote, since Maroun owns so many of the suppliers, their trucks, the insurance companies that insure those trucks, and many of the companies these trucks ship to, I wonder how much a year he pays himself in tolls.

Regardless of what you think of Maroun, the fact is that the DIBC illegally constructed a duty free shop, second ramp, took over an entire city-owned street, ruined a long standing bait shop's business, and other things that did not adhere to the plan funded by your tax dollars. Why? Because these things would make him more money. And despite the fact that the courts have insisted he tear down the duty-free shop and reconstruct according to the plan, he has refused to do anything about it.

So yeah, he's a really great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    if his methods are questionable, he's open to criticism, and he needs a PR campaign to get anyone to take him even remotely seriously... why are we to swallow his arguments any faster than the Govts?

I mean I'm not criticizing Maroun's ruthlessness, you don't get to be a billionare by not being ruthless. I'm simply laughing at the ridiculous PR campaign to paint him as a dottering, harmless old eccentric that just has the best interests of his employees and neighbors at heart. It's insulting because everyone knows it's completely bullshit and I immediately disbelieve any further message he has because it's originates from a cynical snake oil salesman.
    It does sort of remind me of the Simpsons episode where Monty Burns tries burnishing his image:

"Burns's political advisers break the news to Burns that he is greatly despised by many people and force Burns to try being friendly and even smile. Burns makes a television commercial discussing Blinky [the three-eyed fish] with an actor portraying Charles Darwin, who claims Blinky is an evolutionary step and not a mutated fish. Combined with a promise to lower taxes and a smear campaign against current governor Mary Bailey, Burns ties with her in the polls. On the night before the election, Burns's advisers suggest that Burns have dinner at the home of a middle class family as an opportunity to put Burns in the lead. Burns scans his employees for the most average man he can find, and Homer is chosen."

if his methods are questionable, he's open to criticism, and he needs a PR campaign to get anyone to take him even remotely seriously... why are we to swallow his arguments any faster than the Govts?
    While there are linkages between the two, the propaganda for each bridge project is mutually exclusive.

I'm not suggesting you take either fast/seriously or whatever. I'm paid to be a skeptic, and there are deep holes in the arguments for both bridges.

There also are strong points for both bridges.

And for/against is exclusive of whether you think he bribes people and breaks the law, or whatever. Economic need and ability to finance/pay capital and operational costs are the primary factors with both spans.

Don't forget, all those politicians who support DRIC, and the Big 3, also say Moroun's replacement span is needed, too. DetroitYes denizens present the situation as an either/or. The business and political community want both spans. When it comes to the 2nd AB span, the support is typically qualified by saying Moroun needs to get his approvals [[and it's another conversation as to whether he can). But that support, even if quiet, is there. So it's not just so-called dirtbags supporting him.

The physical Ambassador Bridge itself often gets portrayed as some evil manifestation, too. That's absurd.

Also, MDOT's own documents clearly state the Gateway project was built with the intend of it feeding into a second span. That is fact. If traffic is going to grow at the rate MDOT suggests, we'll need both bridges.

At the end of the day, why wouldn't we want two new bridges? I get why the Morouns don't. But for future capacity, safety and other reasons, why would we not want two modern bridges?

I mean I'm not criticizing Maroun's ruthlessness, you don't get to be a billionare by not being ruthless. I'm simply laughing at the ridiculous PR campaign to paint him as a dottering, harmless old eccentric that just has the best interests of his employees and neighbors at heart. It's insulting because everyone knows it's completely bullshit and I immediately disbelieve any further message he has because it's originates from a cynical snake oil salesman.
    Reminds me of the movie There Will Be Blood and Daniel Day-Lewis' character's exploitation of his son for business purposes.

His wife crying in the video was a bit much.

NorthEndere Guest

It speaks volumes how scared this DRIC has made him that he is allowing any light to penetrate the empire.
    This can not be stated enough. That this ultra-private family is trotting out the wife shows fear and desperation plain and simple. This is their last hurray, and they are going to try to make it count. Fending off DRIC is getting harder than even he expected it to, bless his heart.

Lipstick, meet pig. Pig, lipstick. As someone made reference to, up-thread, this dude it's Detroit's Monty Burns. He's about as close to a cartoon villain as you can get in the real world.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-29-11 at 09:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2