Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Centra is not the DIBC.

Perhaps Moroun would move his trucking out of Michigan if he was denied his bridge. But I doubt it. And how many of the 7000 jobs that you say are worldwide are in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Centra is not the DIBC.

Perhaps Moroun would move his trucking out of Michigan if he was denied his bridge. But I doubt it. And how many of the 7000 jobs that you say are worldwide are in Michigan?
    My guess is about 4,000. Could be more or less. I don't foresee any scenario in which he'd move the trucking holdings elsewhere.

Something else to consider is that Moroun is 83. The legal quicksand that the DRIC/NITC bridge will enter for land acquisition probably will take many years to settle. He'll probably be long dead by the time a new bridge would enter service, or to be have construction begin. The person that will loom larger is Matthew Moroun, who is 39. He's going to inherit the bridge and Centra, etc., or at least fill his father's role.

In the story I wrote a few weeks ago, Lt. Gov. Calley said it will be up to two years after the bridge legislation is approved before dirt will be turned. That's assuming there are no hurdles. Obviously, since Moroun owns land in the NITC footprint, there will be government/legal action, probably an eminent domain case. Snyder and Calley could be out of office before the new bridge is cleared.

By then, we'll have a better idea if the MDOT traffic prediction of 70% growth in the Detroit border corridor [[by 2016) will be true. If it is, no opposition will remain in any sector to the span. If it doesn't, it will continue to be hard to justify it -- especially if the Ambassador Bridge drops its tolls.

A toll war will be on the bond market's mind because the DRIC study predicates its financial justification on the Ambassador Bridge's toll rates. The private sector infrastructure firms interested in building DRIC have expressed concern about a pure toll concession to cover capital and operational costs. Even the consortium building the Windsor-Essex Parkway want a taxpayer subsidy for the bridge.

If Lansing can get Michigan a true "free lunch" when it comes to the proposed bridge, then that's quite a political victory. However, a lot of people -- unaligned with Moroun -- in the infrastructure industry are extremely skeptical of the bridge proposal. If Canadian politicians are able to get the Canadian people to absorb all the risk, then it truly is a free lunch for Michigan.

These are legitimate economic and philosophical questions. Asking them, however, arouses contempt from people who believe that Moroun must be destroyed at all costs -- which is not sound fiscal stewardship of public money.

So asking economic and philosophical questions is only proper so long as they steer clear of Maroun's motivations? Sort of interesting bias there. Shocking coming from Crain's. Truly shocking.

You know what Richard, you're right when you say ...
    Sorry flame me if you wish but he reminds me of the old farmers that I grew up around they were worth millions but you never knew it because it was not anybody else's business.
    And all the subsidies they received to assist them in becoming "millionaires" are no one's business either.[[2 billion to Michigan farmers growing corn the last 4 years alone)
    Last edited by bailey; March-29-11 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    So asking economic and philosophical questions is only proper so long as they steer clear of Maroun's motivations? Sort of interesting bias there. Shocking coming from Crain's. Truly shocking.
    Who steers clear of his motivations? He's trying to protect what he believes is a Congressionally-approved border monopoly, and his business interests.

Is that a rational business decision? Yes.
    Are some of his methods questionable? Yes.
    Has he opened himself to the criticism he gets from the condition of his properties? Yes.
    Is he waging a hearts/minds image campaign that's open to skepticism? Yes.
    Do some people blindly swallow what the government tells them? Apparently so.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Who steers clear of his motivations? He's trying to protect what he believes is a Congressionally-approved border monopoly, and his business interests.

Is that a rational business decision? Yes.
    Are some of his methods questionable? Yes.
    Has he opened himself to the criticism he gets from the condition of his properties? Yes.
    Is he waging a hearts/minds image campaign that's open to skepticism? Yes.
    Do some people blindly swallow what the government tells them? Apparently so.
    if his methods are questionable, he's open to criticism, and he needs a PR campaign to get anyone to take him even remotely seriously... why are we to swallow his arguments any faster than the Govts?

I mean I'm not criticizing Maroun's ruthlessness, you don't get to be a billionare by not being ruthless. I'm simply laughing at the ridiculous PR campaign to paint him as a dottering, harmless old eccentric that just has the best interests of his employees and neighbors at heart. It's insulting because everyone knows it's completely bullshit and I immediately disbelieve any further message he has because it's originates from a cynical snake oil salesman.

if his methods are questionable, he's open to criticism, and he needs a PR campaign to get anyone to take him even remotely seriously... why are we to swallow his arguments any faster than the Govts?

I mean I'm not criticizing Maroun's ruthlessness, you don't get to be a billionare by not being ruthless. I'm simply laughing at the ridiculous PR campaign to paint him as a dottering, harmless old eccentric that just has the best interests of his employees and neighbors at heart. It's insulting because everyone knows it's completely bullshit and I immediately disbelieve any further message he has because it's originates from a cynical snake oil salesman.
    It does sort of remind me of the Simpsons episode where Monty Burns tries burnishing his image:

"Burns's political advisers break the news to Burns that he is greatly despised by many people and force Burns to try being friendly and even smile. Burns makes a television commercial discussing Blinky [the three-eyed fish] with an actor portraying Charles Darwin, who claims Blinky is an evolutionary step and not a mutated fish. Combined with a promise to lower taxes and a smear campaign against current governor Mary Bailey, Burns ties with her in the polls. On the night before the election, Burns's advisers suggest that Burns have dinner at the home of a middle class family as an opportunity to put Burns in the lead. Burns scans his employees for the most average man he can find, and Homer is chosen."

While there are linkages between the two, the propaganda for each bridge project is mutually exclusive.

I'm not suggesting you take either fast/seriously or whatever. I'm paid to be a skeptic, and there are deep holes in the arguments for both bridges.

There also are strong points for both bridges.

And for/against is exclusive of whether you think he bribes people and breaks the law, or whatever. Economic need and ability to finance/pay capital and operational costs are the primary factors with both spans.

Don't forget, all those politicians who support DRIC, and the Big 3, also say Moroun's replacement span is needed, too. DetroitYes denizens present the situation as an either/or. The business and political community want both spans. When it comes to the 2nd AB span, the support is typically qualified by saying Moroun needs to get his approvals [[and it's another conversation as to whether he can). But that support, even if quiet, is there. So it's not just so-called dirtbags supporting him.

The physical Ambassador Bridge itself often gets portrayed as some evil manifestation, too. That's absurd.

Also, MDOT's own documents clearly state the Gateway project was built with the intend of it feeding into a second span. That is fact. If traffic is going to grow at the rate MDOT suggests, we'll need both bridges.

At the end of the day, why wouldn't we want two new bridges? I get why the Morouns don't. But for future capacity, safety and other reasons, why would we not want two modern bridges?

Reminds me of the movie There Will Be Blood and Daniel Day-Lewis' character's exploitation of his son for business purposes.

His wife crying in the video was a bit much.

Yes and no , How many business's are subsidized with tax payer dollars and those owners then become millionaires? How is that any different?

I am not trying to defend or justify,because without all of the questions answered it would be a biased stance.How is he really any different then any other billionaire through out history? Because his private life is personal it becomes hard to really weigh the good to the bad.

MCS ? Would it still be standing given Detroits stance on slash and demolish if he had not purchased it?

Property taxes? Has he not or continues to keep taxes currant on the MCS and all of the other derelict properties he owns in contrast to the other speculators that have been recently brought to light.

I do not need to know how he brushes his teeth and if he chooses to not toot his own horn that is his decision.

Sorry flame me if you wish but he reminds me of the old farmers that I grew up around they were worth millions but you never knew it because it was not anybody else's business. They worked hard to get where they were and the made their contributions to society expecting no pat on the back for it.It was their sense of pride and it was all that mattered to them.

If one tries to understand the older generation and the way things were then and I am talking about before my fathers generation then you would have a bit more understanding.

We see what we choose to see and because it is not out there every day what the good one does compared to the "bad" has no comparison.