http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...253373312.html

Who cares what Edward Glaeser thinks about Detroit? Five years ago, he said of Detroit and New Orleans, "Places decline and places grow. There's no reason not to let decline go forward. We shouldn't stand in the way of that."

Here's a guy who reportedly lives on a six-and-a-half-acre estate in rural Massachusetts, and likes wearing tailored suits, a pocket watch on a gold chain and large silver cuff links, and doesn't give a shit if Detroit were to completely disappear. Oh, I definitely don't care what he thinks about light rail.

On the other hand, more than a century ago, there was a man who, through the decades, has become known as one of the greatest mayors of Detroit -- or of any American city. That man was Hazen Pingree. Glaeser would have hated him for demanding public institutions that stand up to private transportation monopolies. In fact, 112 years ago this month, as governor, Pingree signed the legislation allowing Detroit to create its own publicly owned and operated streetcar system. My how times change.

Pingree believed in that little town by the straits. Tamed its business leaders and found ways to help those suffering through the recessions of the 1890s. What howls of protest Glaeser and his ilk [[Chicago School of Economics) would erupt in upon hearing his opinions.

I know whom History will judge the greater man.