Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Oh, I don't know, I think having children helps make some people unhealthily paranoid. People [[some on this board) have been utterly flabbergasted at my lack of fear towards different groups and areas. Some [[on this very board) have even gone so far as to tell us that we need to end our "science experiment". I have always been utterly fascinated with those comments and people, mainly because I do not understand them.

• Are they telling me that living as a minority is a science experiment? Does that apply to all people, or have something to do with me being white?
    • Or are they telling me that living in a low income area is a science experiment? That is, as they ignore the countless low income families with children who have lived in these places for years.
    • Or, are they implying that living in a inner city isn't for a middle class white family? Because, you know, cities were meant to be specifically for poor people.
    • Or, are they referring to us specifically in a derogatory manner? This is as if some factor makes us wh... less than low class members of society. In a land that prides itself as being a melting pot, it is amazing what isn't tolerated.

You and your wife are amazing. Thank you so much for this list. I don't get why some people don't think we're human just because the color of our skin and the texture of our hair is different. I'll never, ever get it.

Oh, I don't know, I think having children helps make some people unhealthily paranoid
    That was kind of my point. School is just an important, and perhaps at least somewhat legitimate, focus of that concern/paranoia.

Some [[on this very board) have even gone so far as to tell us that we need to end our "science experiment". I have always been utterly fascinated with those comments and people, mainly because I do not understand them.
    I think they are implicitly telling you that they don't understand or sympathize with your choices. Of course, that is not your problem.
    Last edited by mwilbert; March-25-11 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Also how is Southfield's black population increasing to 70% an increase in diversity? Shouldn't that be considered a decrease in diversity?
    I always wonder this. If it was all African American, would they call it 100% diversity ?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    You and your wife are amazing. Thank you so much for this list. I don't get why some people don't think we're human just because the color of our skin and the texture of our hair is different. I'll never, ever get it.
    English, I respect your opinions on this board even if I don't always agree. The post you are responding to is just wrong on any number of levels for any number of reasons, and is a bit like feeding the ego. The experiment comment was made by someone else and absolutely made sense in its context as I recall. The rest sort of follows that context. As a parent, I find the suggestion of the post you refer to totally insulting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2