Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Even though it's a historically cool building I'm glad to see it go as it was obvious nothing was going to be done with it. If someone really wanted to save it they should have done it 6 years ago when it closed.
    Yes. We all know that there is only a brief window of time of vacancy allowed before a building MUST be bulldozed at great taxpayer expense. Multi-million dollar gravel lots are far preferable to those stupid *eyesore* buildings that can never be recreated again.

Maybe you should tell the Romans to demolish that silly EYESORE Colosseum that is "obsolete" and "structurally unsound". I mean, when do they plan on "doing something" with it? God knows nobody wants to look at that shit--we gots cars to park, SON! Tear that schitt down!

At least now people will be able to see the new school which although modern and lacking character, is far from an eye-sore an looks appealing.....hey and maybe even more sweet dirt lots!
    Uh, what? Did you just use "modern", "lacking character" and "appealing" in the same sentence???
    Make up your mind. Or maybe you'd rather live in Houston? I don't know--you tell me.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-23-11 at 01:35 PM.

Maybe they'll put a gardeb there. LOL

DUMB.

Demolition began today, as planned. They started hacking away on Grand River Avenue. Took a couple of shots, but damage was minimal as of 2 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    With all these demo companies licking their lips for easy money, no wonder there's no plan. We don't have the same skillset as other cities, where they have refurbishers, repurposers, architects familiar with reuse, etc.
    Does Mayor Bing have his own Bobby Ferguson? Who is benefiting now?

Link to a video produced by the FREEP
    http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/84...olition-begins

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

Maybe you should tell the Romans to demolish that silly EYESORE Colosseum that is "obsolete" and "structurally unsound". I mean, when do they plan on "doing something" with it? God knows nobody wants to look at that shit--we gots cars to park, SON! Tear that schitt down!
    Did you really just compare the Colosseum to old Cass Tech?!?! That's laughable. Really.

Yes, I realize all three of those words in one sentence might be hard to comprehend but to the outsiders this building is appealing.....kind of like a Livonia or Novi...modern, lacking character, but appealing to the eye...

And Houston, been there for too many trade shows...horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Did you really just compare the Colosseum to old Cass Tech?!?! That's laughable. Really.

Yes, I realize all three of those words in one sentence might be hard to comprehend but to the outsiders this building is appealing.....kind of like a Livonia or Novi...modern, lacking character, but appealing to the eye...

And Houston, been there for too many trade shows...horrible.
    You don't see any kind of irony in your statement, do you? Sorry--cheap is never appealing to the eye, unless you like your monotony with a side of bland.

So, Cass Tech gets torn down, costing millions of dollars that DPS could otherwise spend on educating students. And then what?

How long are we supposed to believe the Underpants Gnomes Theory of Urban Renewal:

1. Bulldoze
    2. ???
    3. Progress

?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Y
    How long are we supposed to believe the Underpants Gnomes Theory of Urban Renewal:

1. Bulldoze
    2. ???
    3. Progress

?
    Fair enough....great episode btw. Thankfully, we are entitled to our own opinions. And I'm sure this won't be last time we don't agree.

Demolition by Neglect!

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Demolition by Neglect!
    Isn't that how everything seems to go in Detroit? Makes me wonder if anything is worth saving anymore.

I REALLY REALLY need to get into the demolition business. Job security right here in Michigan!!!!

Adieu, Old Cass Tech Building! Thanks for 90 years of service.

There is still an effort from the Cass Tech Historic Society to redevelop the historic portion of the building. They are trying to raise $5 million by April 8th. Please read.

From the Website of the Cass Tech Preservation Society [[http://www.casstechhistoric.org/):

"We’ve found Joel Landy. He has redeveloped four Detroit schools. He has a viable redevelopment plan for Cass. Also, Richard Baron has developed $2 billion of real estate in 33 cities. He’s a native Detroiter wanting to give back.
    This could be a $130 million project. It will be private investment not taxpayer money. But if the Cass Tech community won’t contribute money and ideas first, the developers won’t act. They’ve told us that."

Also, watch the video of the former Miss America, Carol Gist, as she appeals to YOU to contribute.
    You can contribute through Pay Pal or check. I am not wealthy, but I donated some money. Just give $25. It's an easy way to preserve Detroit's history!
    We’ve found Joel Landy. He has redeveloped four Detroit schools. He has a viable redevelopment plan for Cass. Also, Richard Baron has developed $2 billion of real estate in 33 cities. He’s a native Detroiter wanting to give back.

This could be a $130 million project. It will be private investment not taxpayer money. But if the Cass Tech community won’t contribute money and ideas first, the developers won’t act. They’ve told us that.

At the "funeral" for Cass Tech this afternoon, Ray Litt of the Cass Tech Alumni Association said they are submitting a development plan and check for $22,000 to DPS on Monday. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    At the "funeral" for Cass Tech this afternoon, Ray Litt of the Cass Tech Alumni Association said they are submitting a development plan and check for $22,000 to DPS on Monday. We'll see.
    Yep, the Detroit News has an article about that.

Cass Tech alumni pin hope on developer to save building

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-save-building

Default Souvenirs

Cass Tech grad 1966.

Is there any way I can buy my old locker? It was on the 4th floor, 4222 or 4242 or something close. I can’t exactly remember the number but I could find it if I were inside the building; walked to it a thousand times during my three years. I’d build a shrine to it in my basement. I’m the guy in the black pants and gray sweater.
    Name:  hallway - Copy.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  40.3 KB

Wow, thanks for the photo! I'm marveling at how similar that hallway looked 35-40 years later!

I'm not a CT alum, so I don't know if they actually went through with any brick, locker, or desk sales. Judging from the way we left and the state the school was in just a few months ago, I doubt it. Another opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Cass Tech grad 1966.

Is there any way I can buy my old locker? It was on the 4th floor, 4222 or 4242 or something close. I can’t exactly remember the number but I could find it if I were inside the building; walked to it a thousand times during my three years. I’d build a shrine to it in my basement. I’m the guy in the black pants and gray sweater.
    Name:  hallway - Copy.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  40.3 KB
    I am afraid knowing the number wouldnt help you anyway because they renumbered every locker. great building, shame its coming to an end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2