Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    My only curiosity, is how long will the windows last? Odds aIre they will be broken in no time, as the building is still accessible to everyone.
    I'm pretty sure they'll have that covered: remember the Canadian pacific railroad is fixing their property which is a main entryway for trespass, they must be doing something very drastic [[ie. bricking over all of the loading bays..). Matty may be ignorant but he's not stupid, his security people know every nook and cranny of that building.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1979 View Post
    Michigan Central Station really does need to have a date with the wrecking ball, the building is pretty useless and isn't the basement of the building flooded already? Moroun has more than enough money to pony up the demo money.
    The exact same thing could have been said for the Book Cadillac and Fort Shelby... both with flooded basements, and both considered useless by many... and look where they are today....

Not every building in Detroit needs to have a date with the wrecking ball...

If the building were demolished it would render Roosevelt Park just another neighborhood park... rather than one with a majestic backdrop.

When this building was built in 1913, it was built as structural overkill... mothballed, it's so sturdy, it would last another century. If it were mothballed AND secured... it would not negatively impact the neighborhood.

I checked out WWJ's site for a link and came up empty, in fact no other news agency had a related story. Basically what I heard on WWJ was a spokesman for Matty saying they were actively seeking a tenant for the site and despite a lot of peoples desire to tear it down they wanted to secure the building. The upgrades will start in the soon. I assume the interview was an addition to the Bait Shop story.

you keep this building at all costs and regardless of matty's possible reasons any work on mcs is a positive. the building has become the biggest symbol of the city's decline, when it ever gets redeveloped it will be a huge boost, for both the corktown neighborhood and the psyche for the entire region. thats just the optimist in me coming through though.

I will believe it when I see it. On a side note, it looks like security has beefed up there recently. I know people that received tickets for tresspassing.

I would start the process of the re-use of the MCS by having the Border Patrol move from its space near the RenCen into a portion of the ground floor. There is space where they would have a clear view of the railroad tunnel entrance along with an adjacent parking lot. The Border Patrol in the building could encourage other tennants by providing a sense of security to the remaining building. My hope is that the city would incourage partial occupation of abandoned building by taxing only the portion that is occupied.

Michigan Central Station

Michigan Central Station

Not "duh dee-poh"

Not Michigan Central Depot

It's Michigan Central Station

Michigan Central Station, OK?

Got it?

Michigan Central Station...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Michigan Central Station

Michigan Central Station

Not "duh dee-poh"

Not Michigan Central Depot

It's Michigan Central Station

Michigan Central Station, OK?

Got it?

Michigan Central Station...
    My, my, you are irascible today? Methinks it's Beam time. Huh?

BTW, Matty will say anything to get his way. But, he'll do as little as possible of what he promised after he's gotten his way. This is his campaign, as put together by Dick 'The DICK' Morris to sway public opinion. All you need to do to understand Matty and DICK is that there is a MONOPOLY promising tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars involved in Matty keeping his bridge as the only bridge - the monopoly. This also means if Matty has his way, he'll be getting millions of our tax dollars to subsidize his operations and pay for his future campaigns. It will not insure redundancy, it will not make us safer, it will not give us alternatives. It will give Matty millions and millions and millions.

The building is approaching it's centenary. Two years to go.

Mr. Houdini Guest

One time I went to a rave in that building. Well, I treid to anyway. the cops were breaking it up as i arrived,.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    The building is approaching it's centenary. Two years to go.
    Better tear it down and start a public garden. Otherwise, it'll just be an embarrassing eyesore.

Demolition contractors have kids to feed, ya know? How is Detroit supposed to rebound when there are all these abandoned structurally unsound obsolete eyesores that are holding back all the new development?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Better tear it down and start a public garden. Otherwise, it'll just be an embarrassing eyesore.

Demolition contractors have kids to feed, ya know? How is Detroit supposed to rebound when there are all these abandoned structurally unsound obsolete eyesores that are holding back all the new development?
    Thats for sure. We gotta spend that stimulus money

This is a useless comment, just reflecting the way I feel. If I had his resources and owned that depot, it would look like it did circa 1940.
    It's difficult for me to express the feelings of contempt I have for that man, and many others like him in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    My, my, you are irascible today? Methinks it's Beam time. Huh?
    Counting down ...

This just in...in totally unrelated news ...folks in charge of the Bloomfield Park project have announced plans to finish the beautiful project starting ASAP.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Houdini View Post
    One time I went to a rave in that building. Well, I treid to anyway. the cops were breaking it up as i arrived,.
    I heard about that attempted rave. I also heard that the rave was well on its way until the fire marshall made his way to MCS. That rave would have been epic!

If he reroofs the main waiting room, won't he have to follow historic guidelines and use approved roofing materials and also historically accurate windows?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    If he reroofs the main waiting room, won't he have to follow historic guidelines and use approved roofing materials and also historically accurate windows?
    The window frames are for 1/4" thick glass so he'll have no choice. The original roof was copper, and is still resisting leaks. The top roofs can be tar

a new roof and some new windows mean nothing-- either do a total renovation or tear it down, stop BS-ing... clowns..

That would kill me if they tear down the train station. That building is architecturally, the heart of Detroit. It may look bad to many, but it's become our international symbol of the city. It's in videos, movies, books and every other topic that is connected to Detroit.

That building is like a harmless dysfunctional family member. A little bit awkward and nobody quite understands her except the family members, but she is ours and we love her. In my opinion, that building should be the last structure standing in Detroit if it needs to be.

I also thought I'd never see the Book Caddy building come back and I was proven wrong. DO NOT TEAR THAT BUILDING DOWN. HER DAY WILL COME.
    Last edited by illwill; March-23-11 at 08:36 PM.

=D =D =D nice

remember the Canadian pacific railroad is fixing their property which is a main entryway for trespass, they must be doing something very drastic [[ie. bricking over all of the loading bays..).
    Has CP Rail actually done anything yet? I was down there several weeks ago right after they reopened the Vernor viaduct and it didn't look like anything had been done to the bridge or the docks....can anyone scope it out and report back?

i'm not going to be home for a couple weeks but ill check, apparently it was to stabilize falling cement...it could be phase one

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast