Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Anybody notice the stairs leading into what appears to be a horse drawn wagon in the bottom right of the picture??? Hope they people using it were under 100lbs!
    It's a lunch wagon, a precursor to the later-day diner or catering truck, that was placed there for the convenience of the workers on what I [[and gnome) think is the building of the Kales Building on the northeast corner of Adams and Park. At mealtimes it almost certainly would have been full of men who weighed rather a bit more than 100 lbs. each.

I believe the whole crew mentioned above was at the Golden Harp the night the cops shut it down. They were attempting to do a punk/goth night to draw some of the punks [[as it turned out - the bad news punks, skin-heads) from the Liedernacht [[predecessor to the Kiddy Club in the Leland). It backfired, almost literally. Things got out of hand, almost literally again. Apparently Donny pulled a hand gun which got out of his hand into the hand of a punk. A shot or two was fired with no one being injured. Someone called the cops. Maybe it was Donny. I'm surprised the cops even showed. Back in those days, prior to Illitch opening the Fox, you might not see a cop for weeks unless they came into your bar at 3AM to drink for free, or they wrote you for being the only car parked for blocks around, at a non-working meter. Soon afterward other city departments got involved, I believe the building was condemned, and the Hughes's moved their law offices down the street to the Michigan Building. It's too bad because the Hughes family had nice plans for the Tuller. But as is so often the case, especially in Detroit, they didn't have the finances nor were they able to obtain financing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCS_Scooter View Post
    I remember Don and John and the rest of the mismatched guys "running
    the place! That certainly seems like a lifetime ago!
    As vividly as I remember the place, it sure does seem a lifetime ago. After it closed I went in a number of times. There was so much cool furniture, equipment and other stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to remove any of it. There were some claw foot slate board stands which were used for scoring dart matches. I wanted one. Just couldn't do it. I often thought I'd never be able to explain it to the Hugheses should they discover it in my business or home.

Wasn't there a Ron and Denny in the bunch, too?

The Tuller was always a stop on our Friday evening cocktail tour. We worked in the Michigan Theatre building so Lorrie's, then Skipper's, over to Sharlay's, Nick's and Mc Nally's and there was a place on Grand River near the Leland...can't remember the name. Somewhere in there we would go to Victor Lims or Lindell AC for dinner. What fun it was to be young!

It was very sad to see the Tuller go. What a beautiful building. I collect Detroit postcards and I think I have 20 or so just from the Tuller.

Quote Originally Posted by SCS_Scooter View Post
    Wasn't there a Ron and Denny in the bunch, too?

The Tuller was always a stop on our Friday evening cocktail tour. We worked in the Michigan Theatre building so Lorrie's, then Skipper's, over to Sharlay's, Nick's and Mc Nally's and there was a place on Grand River near the Leland...can't remember the name. Somewhere in there we would go to Victor Lims or Lindell AC for dinner. What fun it was to be young!

It was very sad to see the Tuller go. What a beautiful building. I collect Detroit postcards and I think I have 20 or so just from the Tuller.
    Yeah Ron, too. Denny I think. Ron was very weird. Don't mind saying it in public. I barred him numerous times. Bad news. Everyone else was fun. The joints on Grand River were Betty's Cracker Barrel and the Page One. Jack's Downtown was on Grand River at Times Square and Jimmy's, formerly the Clifford Street Underground was on Clifford behind the AAA service center that had been Stouffers. Eventually, Nick bought the old Eastman's Gaslight [[Bev and Bill Eastman) and rebuilt it. It was a great neighborhood, in great decline, or so we thought. In hindsight, those might've been much better days. At least you could walk around to a bunch of bars.

Office building opened Jan. 28, 1928; the theater followed a few days later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2