Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Since the pic was taken in 1914, I figure they are in the process of building the Kales Building. The lunch wagon on the right is hiding the work site.

Gumby, I don't think the UA was built until the 1920s when Charley Chaplin and friends formed the company. In the early days film distribution was controlled by the production companies. Gistok knows more about this arcane practice, maybe he can chime in and either correct my memory or expand on the theme.

In looking at Lew Tuller's work, it leaves me a little teary. I use to frequent a mysterious little bar right there at the corner of Adams and Park. It was called the 101Lounge and was essentially in that half basement you see on the corner. Lew must have done some rehab work in the 30s because the way you got into the place was walking down a short set of stairs and into a small alcove.

The 101 was an art deco streamlined beauty. A recessed ceiling with indirect cove lighting, a milk-glass bar top and a double mirrored backbar. It was really something to see.
You have a good and precise memory of the 101 itself. Thanks for those details. My memories are more of the happenings. Kris Lynn, stage name, Florence Dinwiddie, real name, was a teacher at Renaissance HS during the week and a jazz pianist extraordinaire at the 101 on the weekends. She ran the music like a conductor. I saw her at Bakers a few years ago for a SEMJA event. Al was the bartender. A short, stocky, muscular, bald, black guy who had the look of a pugilist. Nicer guy you'd never meet. Last time I saw him, maybe a dozen or more years ago, he was waiting on a bus downtown. I gave him a ride home to the east side. The club was smokey and very musty, mostly due to the fact that there were only two businesses in the entire, almost vacant building. People would walk in the door with horns in hand, just waiting for Kris to acknowledge them and they'd play as they approached the stage. On one side you'd have a party from Birmingham and the other would be a queen in full regalia. It was my getaway with a couple of the old-timers from downtown. I've often called it one of the coolest bars I've ever been to - it was so raw. Kris Lynn later played at Bert's 'All That Jazz' in the Cadillac Tower where Gracie's Bon Ton used to be, and at the Bricktown Grill, behind the Millender Center, which burned during the 80's.