Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, I was a skeptic until the Cleveland numbers were released a few weeks ago.
    And what were Cleveland's numbers if you don't mind me asking? Because I believe Columbus is Ohio's largest city now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And what were Cleveland's numbers if you don't mind me asking? Because I believe Columbus is Ohio's largest city now.
    Columbus city has been larger than Cleveland city since Columbus went through that period of annexation during the 90s. I believe Cleveland is still Ohio's largest metropolitan area though.

The five largest cities by population are: Columbus, 787,033 Cleveland, 396,815 Cincinnati, 296,943 Toledo, 287,208 Akron, 199,110

Columbus grew by 10.6 percent since the 2000 Census while Cleveland dropped 17.1 percent, Cincinnati decreased by 10.4 percent, Toledo decreased by 8.4 percent, and Akron decreased by 8.3 percent.

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ce...,7803940.story

NorthEndere Guest

I can't find the exact numbers, now, but I believe that Metro Cincinnati may have just inched by Metro Cleveland to become that state's largest metropolitan area. Metro Columbus in in a comfortable third place. Metro Cleveland [[along with Metro Pittsburgh) have been shrinking for decades, now. Nearby Akron and Metro Youngstown also showed a sharp decline, so that entire region is shrinking, now.

BTW, anyone read that nearly 20% of housing units in the state of Florida were vacant as of the Census count? Jeeze. Demographers are saying that it will be years just to get the ridiculously high vacancy rates down to more normal high vacancy rates.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; March-21-11 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    BTW, anyone read that nearly 20% of housing units in the state of Florida were vacant as of the Census count? Jeeze. Demographers are saying that it will be years just to get the ridiculously high vacancy rates down to more normal high vacancy rates.
    That's no surprise at all. Miami had a glut of brand new sparsely occupied condo towers when I was last there a couple years ago.

Detroit - 777,000

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    I can't find the exact numbers, now, but I believe that Metro Cincinnati may have just inched by Metro Cleveland to become that state's largest metropolitan area. Metro Columbus in in a comfortable third place. Metro Cleveland [[along with Metro Pittsburgh) have been shrinking for decades, now. Nearby Akron and Metro Youngstown also showed a sharp decline, so that entire region is shrinking, now.

It's high, but not as high as it seems. 2010 vacancy rate was 17.5%. 2000 rate was 13%. So its up, but due to the snowbird/vacation home factor, Florida has always had a relatively high vacancy rate.

My Detroit population guess = 745K.

Winner: Mind field. He or she guessed 715,000...just 1,223 off.
    Mind field, take a bow and tell us how you did it.

DetroitDad Guest

Okay, I am ready to make my guess:

I predict that the population will decline to these numbers within the next ten to twenty years:

Detroit: Approx. 300,000

Metro Detroit: Approx. 3,200,000

Region: Approx. 4,500,000

PS: I think this is highly optimistic.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; March-23-11 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Post Script

300,000 is pretty low. Lose 25% next ten years, and 25% the next ten and you'd still have 400,000.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3