Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Healthy,[[unhealthy) Lifestyles?

To drink that diet coke, eat that McDonald's "salad" or choose to enjoy a fresco burrito from Taco Bell, or not, that is the question.

Most people I chat with consume some or all of these "foods", thinking that they are eating/drinking something healthy.

I have my opinions, what are yours?

None of those things are "food". Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    ... "salad" ... "foods" ...

I have my opinions, what are yours?
    Hmm, trying to figure out what your opinion might be...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    thinking that they are eating/drinking something healthy.
    Ah, the power of marketing -- it will make people believe that something unhealthy is healthy.

Coke, McDonalds and Taco Bell have already won over the market segment that eats junk food, and this is a way to tap into the market segment that is trying to eat healthier.

Those who really analyze it know there is little nutritional value in McDonalds or Taco Bell, and the chemical sweeteners in diet pop are horrible. They don't have any science on their side.

I dunno. I love junk food. It tastes wonderful; it fills me up; and the price is right. And I'm 75 and healthy as an ox, so there.

Quarter pounder with cheese, large fries, and a diet coke is an ideal lunch. Diet coke is just because I like the taste better than regular.

Go away. Leave me alone.

boy, i wish i could eat that crap once in a while but cholesteral levels too high!

Its like saying saying a deep fried taco is healthy because it has lettuce and a tomato. Sorry but that stuff is pure crap.

Eat the salad but use only a very small amount of dressing. Instead of diet coke [[mmm, sucrose....mmm aspertame) how about water? gasp!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I dunno. I love junk food. It tastes wonderful; it fills me up; and the price is right. And I'm 75 and healthy as an ox, so there.

Quarter pounder with cheese, large fries, and a diet coke is an ideal lunch. Diet coke is just because I like the taste better than regular.

Go away. Leave me alone.
    But do you eat that quarter pounder for lunch regularly? And what about dinner? Would you feed such a diet to small children.

I've lost 14 lbs since the middle of January, following the advice of my new hero:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/health/28zuger.html
    Last edited by Corn.Bot; March-21-11 at 12:31 PM. Reason: corrected link

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    But do you eat that quarter pounder for lunch regularly? And what about dinner? Would you feed such a diet to small children.
    Couple times a week. Dinners are "normal", depending on what friend wife cooks.

Small children? I'm 75, Maxx. I feed 'em to the dog.

It's all about moderation. We like to cook, so we use a lot of "whole" ingredients, but I'll also grab a McDonalds/fast food treat maybe once a month or so. I avoid food that comes out of a box, powdered crap, etc. It didn't really start as a health thing, its just as we began cooking more and more often, that stuff started to be less appealing. The stuff I make is so much better, and I get enjoyment out of the process. Don't drink diet pop, when I do drink pop I stick with Faygo in the glass bottle. Made from real sugar!

Couple times a week. Dinners are "normal", depending on what friend wife cooks.

Small children? I'm 75, Maxx. I feed 'em to the dog.
    You feed small children to your dog?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    You feed small children to your dog?!
    You read it right, Jim. Sometimes the bigger children, too.

You read it right, Jim. Sometimes the bigger children, too.
    LOL!ten charaters

Ray1936:
    What kind of dog do you have?

Big ol' dumb guy. We call him 'Spot'.
    Last edited by Ray1936; March-22-11 at 05:10 PM.

lmao.........

Had McDonalds a few months back. I had not eaten there in a very long time previously. It didn't fill me up at all, yet a half sandwhich from subway certainly would.

I'm fortunate enough that there's at least over 100 restaurants and cafes within a 5 minute walk of my office that offer healthier options. At least a dozen serve organic food.

I hate to break it to you but that's no dog.

RE: McDonald's
    I haven't patronized them since the McLibel case. Any corp that would take private citizens to court for telling the truth about their products is not one I want to do business with.

from amazon: McLibel

McDonald's loved using the UK libel laws to suppress criticism. Major media organisations like the BBC and The Guardian crumbled and apologised. But then they sued gardener Helen Steel and postman Dave Morris. In the longest trial in English legal history the "McLibel Two" represented themselves against McDonald's 10 million legal team. Every aspect of the corporation's business was cross-examined: from junk food and McJobs to animal cruelty environmental damage and advertising to children. Outside the courtroom Dave brought up his young son alone and Helen supported herself working nights in a bar. McDonald's tried every trick in the book against them. Legal manoeuvres. A visit from Ronald McDonald. Top executives flying to London for secret settlement negotiations. Even spies. Seven years later in February 2005 the marathon legal battle finally concluded at the European Court of Human Rights. And the result took everyone by surprise - especially the British Government. McLibel is not just about hamburgers. It is about the importance of freedom of speech now that multinational corporations are more powerful than countries. Filmed over ten years by no-budget Director Franny Armstrong McLibel is the David and Goliath story of two people who refused to say sorry. And in doing so changed the world

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...man-dies_N.htm

River, who stood 6-foot-8 and weighed about 575 pounds, gained a measure of fame in the past year as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill, a Chandler, Ariz., restaurant that specializes in thick hamburgers and fries. He died on Tuesday at the age of 29.

It's heart-warming to see someone stand up for what they truly believe in.

The place a block from my apartment has a lamb shawarma special [[two for 5.99). After placing both within the bag, they dump about a half pound MORE of lamb into the bag.

mmmmmmmm....

Ray , I am with you. Diet Coke does taste great.

My Mom always said everything in moderation. Had White Castles and fries a few days back, Tasted great too.

Turned 58, barring a little depression, blood pressure perfect, weight perfect, cholestrol perfect, eye sight perfect, female organs, no signs of any cancer. I think I'll eat anything I want [[in moderation).

Our eldest is vegan is 5'11 and is pushing 300#s, his wife is vegan and is almost as wide as she is tall.Go figure. Not healthy at all.

The rare steak I ate as my birthday meal was divine along with salad, veggies and a baked potato drenched in butter and sour cream followed by a sinful chocolate cake. Obviously, don't eat like that daily.

Now am feeling a tad evil, our eldest called to wish me a belated Birthday. He is stopping at the Sprout House for lunch. Fast food anyone? Yuck! Food should taste good not ingrediants that just sound good for you!

Actually just being snide. A healthy diet and lifestyle is to be aimed for. Just do not like people telling me what to do or eat!

Moderation!

I think I'll stick with Mom's advice.
    Last edited by sumas; March-24-11 at 12:08 PM.

Always listen to the Mama. And belated Happy Birthday, sumas!

Yeah, really....I like most fast foods, but I don't over-indulge. Probably the only time I do is on my trips from Vegas to Detroit and back I always look for McDonalds for breakfast and lunch. That's three days each way. But I sure can't see anything wrong with a sausage McMuffin with egg for breakfast at any time.

No health problems; 5-10, 175. Even had a stress test and angiogram last year to be on the safe side. Doc said absolutely no problems for an old buzzard. Good genes, I guess.

I read in a food blog that McD's oatmeal breakfast has the calorie equivalent of 4 snickers bars; full of sugar and crap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast