Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How Does One Go About Getting Ex-Communicated from the Catholic Church?

I really, really want to not be counted as one of them.

They got my parents to baptize me.

They convinced me for some time to follow their ways.

They even had me agree to be confirmed.

Now, at 47, I am certain beyond any doubt that I'd like to not be a part of that institution and want to make it legal.

I'd like to thank them for the instruction on reading, writing, and arithmetic. That was fine. The REST of it?! Whoa.

Cheers on this beautiful day.

Sincerely,
    John J. Gannon
    Class of '81, St. Alphonsus High School.

And I will not entertain any discussion of religion. I think they've ALL got their problems...misunderstandings and worse. Traditions and commentary from earlier times in history which some attempt to apply today. Ignorance of the original founder's direct teachings.

Stuff like that.

Use a telescope and declare the earth revolves around the sun. That should work; at least it did.

I don't want to go to JAIL, LOL.

I'm nearly messing my pants, thanks for the gut-laugh Gnome. You rock.

LodgeDodger Guest

Why do you feel the need to be ex-communicated? Why all the drama? Just follow another faith.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Why all the drama?
    Indeed!...

I agree! Just follow another faith. I did. Best thing I ever did. Had nothing but problems with the catholic church. Now I'm FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    I agree! Just follow another faith. I did. Best thing I ever did. Had nothing but problems with the catholic church. Now I'm FREE!!!
    I understand, Jody. I have done exactly that, and have collected experiences and memories since running from the Church which prove that the Maker doesn't favor those who remain within this ancient institution. I simply don't want to be counted as a Catholic any longer, when it is my understanding that after baptism and confirmation they include me in the ranks, even if only under some classification indicating my non-participating status. I want to make it perfectly clear that I will not willingly ever participate in their status. Any of 'em.

Sincerely,
    John

Best I could find on the controversies around the Paul VI papalcy.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/va...kencross11.htm

After reading that page, I am dumbfounded. All of this happened in Rome during my formative years as a young Catholic. Is there any wonder why I don't want anything to do with this organization?! It is nothing of what it is supposed to be, something deep within me senses this which causes great emotional and mental consternation. My spirit gets sick.

We were so distracted by Vietnam and the oddities of Nixon's power scrambling and Rock-n-Roll and the nation's upcoming birthday and some fellows in sheets making our gasoline prices increase.

Listen, I KNOW good still gets done within groups which may happen to meet within a Catholic-owned building. They may even all be professed and active Catholics, never doubting and always faithful. I know good Catholics, I know some really great ones.

But after the second half of my life...filled with mystical experiences and answered prayer [[destroying the ability to use the word co-incidence to explain away most of 'em) and encounters with dynamic loving people who on the surface would shun mere mention of God or religion [[but who selflessly act exactly like the Jesus I learned about in scripture with similar wisdom, stature, peacefulness, and effectiveness serving others, acting in Love)...I no longer remain in the delusion that it is because of anything Catholic, but rather in spite of it. No matter the attempts to water down and distract and usurp...some unseen Spirit and otherworldly power sneaks in and makes it all alive and now again.

This is the lesson I learned first at the weekend retreat we took during our Senior year at St. Paul's in Pontiac...and again many years later at the worship time after noon mass at St. Elizabeth's in Wyandotte. I heard that priest got into trouble for having that wonderful session. It was always odd to see nuns with their arms upstretched in praise, and the 'feel' in that place was the same as when we shared time at the retreat house. It was a definite tangible change in the energy in the air around everyone, unmistakeable.

That is what I pursue...because where-ever this Spirit is, there happen miracles and better. I know this Spirit remains on the Earth, and I'm sure beyond doubt that the Catholic Church does not have sole license to It.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; September-10-12 at 03:14 PM.

Just walk quietly away. No need to maintain a relationship that is over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Just walk quietly away. No need to maintain a relationship that is over and done with.
    I've done that, years ago.

Found out they still count me, and I want that to stop.

Simple as that. No fussin'. No drama on MY part.

I just want to make certain I'm not in the count.

Sincerely,
    John

LodgeDodger Guest

The fact is, even though you're a "Cradle Catholic" you're not really a "Catholic", per se. I'm quite sure you haven't made your Easter duties in years. That's traditionally the way people "keep current" on their relationship with the Church.

You cannot erase your past. More importantly, excommunication is used for only the most egregious acts against the Church and its teachings. Your wish for excommunication is hardly constitutes such an action. If you don't wish to worship with with Catholics or choose to ignore the teachings of the faith, then be gone with you. Methinks an excommunication is something you would like to use as a "bragable" item. To use as a flag to show others just how "special" you believe yourself to be.

You really need to grow up. Would you believe I'm less than a year older than you, yet find often find myself thinking, "Is this guy really so close to me in age?" I would expect such silly rantings from someone decades younger than you.

Gannon, grow up. Get a steady job. Go about the business of being a grownup. You'll find that you don't have time for such silly musings when you're busy with the actual business of being an adult.

Of course, I expect you to take this as an "attack" on your character. Of course, it isn't, but I don't expect you to view it as such.

The fact is, even though you're a "Cradle Catholic" you're not really a "Catholic", per se. I'm quite sure you haven't made your Easter duties in years. That's traditionally the way people "keep current" on their relationship with the Church.

You cannot erase your past. More importantly, excommunication is used for only the most egregious acts against the Church and its teachings. Your wish for excommunication is hardly constitutes such an action. If you don't wish to worship with with Catholics or choose to ignore the teachings of the faith, then be gone with you. Methinks an excommunication is something you would like to use as a "bragable" item. To use as a flag to show others just how "special" you believe yourself to be.

You really need to grow up. Would you believe I'm less than a year older than you, yet find often find myself thinking, "Is this guy really so close to me in age?" I would expect such silly rantings from someone decades younger than you.

Gannon, grow up. Get a steady job. Go about the business of being a grownup. You'll find that you don't have time for such silly musings when you're busy with the actual business of being an adult.

Of course, I expect you to take this as an "attack" on your character. Of course, it isn't, but I don't expect you to view it as such.

I don't know where to start with this, so I'll just say the least I can to avoid encountering your assinine preprogrammed judgement again.

IF you are baptized AND confirmed in the Catholic Church, you are counted as one until you die.

AS SOON AS anyone can prove otherwise, that is what I have come to understand.

I simply do not want to be counted in their worldwide accounting scam any longer.

Simple as that.

As for the rest of it...wow. I will bring out that note from my 7th grade teacher once more, it seems to be time to defend myself again.

If I remember correctly, you were the one who had the most difficult time with me turning late-night red lights into four-way stops. You couldn't get it through your head that it did NOT equate with 'blowing through them'. LOL.

Sincerely,
    John J. Gannon
    ex-Catholic just wantin' it to be official

I asked a simple question.

NOBODY has given me an answer.

All I hear is noise, and a shit-TON of judgement and attack.

Do any of you ever truly think of how programmed you are, and how you all freak out whenever anyone challenges the ASSUMPTIONS you've made?

If you are all the finest examples of growing up, then I sincerely NEVER, EVER want to join that group.

Count me out of that, too, please!

Much love,
    John

Do any of you ever truly think of how programmed you are
    You are only programmed to think we are programmed, when really it is you who are programmed. You probably wouldn't understand, mere linear thinking won't get you to the answer! This and many other things require my immediate perceptions, so I'll have to leave this fool's errand to the fools!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    You are only programmed to think we are programmed, when really it is you who are programmed. You probably wouldn't understand, mere linear thinking won't get you to the answer! This and many other things require my immediate perceptions, so I'll have to leave this fool's errand to the fools!

Cheers!

Thanks for the grin in the midst of all this heat, JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I asked a simple question.

NOBODY has given me an answer.
    Gannon, sincerely, maybe nobody here knows. I don't think it's a simple question.

Found out they still count me, and I want that to stop.
    I'm asking this sincerely...how are they counting you? I don't know of any kind of auditing or census-type thing in the church. I could see that maybe they would tally up numbers of registered members of parishes to get a general idea, but I don't know of any other way that the church would count people.

LD,

I've decided to reconsider. Your post was too much to ignore. I really tried.

How in any way, shape, or form is your post NOT an attack upon me and my character and my choices in life?!

I just re-read it.

You went after my religious practices.

You assumed a ton about something, and indicated I am within some group I've never heard of...which sounded quite derogatory to boot.

You know NOTHING of my pursuit of Catholicism, my studies AND devotion...and what sent me packing AS SOON AS I WAS ABLE.

You know NOTHING of my spiritual life afterwards.

You know nothing of WHY I asked this question...assuming that I wanted to 'erase' something from my past. I do not, and WILL not disavow anything I've ever chosen to do...nor avoid that which had ever been done TO me.

Read that again so it sinks in. Now, read it again. Do you understand?! I surely hope so.

If you think I would brag about any separation from Rome, you have no idea about me. MOST people who know me in person know that I am not a braggart, I rarely consider myself at all. I've spent the past twenty years in a constant study on how to put my ego to death, which is one of the KEY things Jesus is recorded to have taught. You would know it as 'dying to oneself'.

And then the direct comment regarding my employment status. THAT was a nice dig, and you want me to go with your fantasy that you AREN'T attacking me?! You don't have ANY idea what I'm involved with in my life. I don't even want to know what you imagine it is that I do.

According to you, becoming an adult means putting to death all wonder and awe and hope and...apparently...joy. You have at least one foot already in the grave. You might as well go on and jump all the way in.

I'll stay on this side of the dirt for a while, and strive to make this place better for the rest of those who wish to actually enjoy life.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; March-16-11 at 03:31 PM.

Vox Guest

LD,

If you think I would brag about any separation from Rome, you have no idea about me. MOST people who know me in person know that I am not a braggart, I rarely consider myself at all. Ive spent the past twenty years in a constant study on how to put my ego to death.
    Man, that is funny. You consistently rave on how special and different you are, how psychic and perceptive of life, more than the mere humans around you. And then you post that?

LodgeDodger Guest

LD,

I've decided to reconsider. Your post was too much to ignore. I really tried.

How in any way, shape, or form is your post NOT an attack upon me and my character and my choices in life?!

I just re-read it.

You went after my religious practices.

You assumed a ton about something, and indicated I am within some group I've never heard of...which sounded quite derogatory to boot.

You know NOTHING of my pursuit of Catholicism, my studies AND devotion...and what sent me packing AS SOON AS I WAS ABLE.

You know NOTHING of my spiritual life afterwards.

You know nothing of WHY I asked this question...assuming that I wanted to 'erase' something from my past. I do not, and WILL not disavow anything I've ever chosen to do...nor avoid that which had ever been done TO me.

Read that again so it sinks in. Now, read it again. Do you understand?! I surely hope so.

If you think I would brag about any separation from Rome, you have no idea about me. MOST people who know me in person know that I am not a braggart, I rarely consider myself at all. I've spent the past twenty years in a constant study on how to put my ego to death, which is one of the KEY things Jesus is recorded to have taught. You would know it as 'dying to oneself'.

And then the direct comment regarding my employment status. THAT was a nice dig, and you want me to go with your fantasy that you AREN'T attacking me?! You don't have ANY idea what I'm involved with in my life. I don't even want to know what you imagine it is that I do.

According to you, becoming an adult means putting to death all wonder and awe and hope and...apparently...joy. You have at least one foot already in the grave. You might as well go on and jump all the way in.

I'll stay on this side of the dirt for a while, and strive to make this place better for the rest of those who wish to actually enjoy life.

Sincerely,
    John
    While you may not be a braggart, you certainly are an attention whore. Starting this thread instead of directly contacting the Archdiocese of Detroit about the process is just another of your attention-seeking ploys.

Your timing couldn't have been worse--you chose the holiest time of the Catholic calendar to post such foolishness. If Catholicism isn't for you, then go. Gee John, I get it--you want people to believe you march to a different drummer. You want people to believe organized anything isn't for you. You want people to believe you're some sort of mystic. Anyone with a lick of sense can see through your act.

I didn't read anything into my posts that would constitute an "attack" on your religious practices. I did make a comment about erasing your Catholicism. What's done is done--nothing changes that. I'm making the assumption that you're not a member of a Catholic parish. [[Gee John, is it okay to assume such things?) Interestingly enough, if you're not actively involved in a parish, you're more than likely not counted in the Church census. Therefore, you're not considered a member of the Church. Is this taking that heavy burden off your shoulders--the burden of having been baptised and confirmed in the Catholic church? Gee, I certainly hope so. Goodness knows, you shouldn't have to walk around with such a terrible burden.

I really don't care what it is you think you do. I do know that you bumble through life jumping from one conspiracy to another. You know what? People who have too much time on their hands have the luxury of seeking conspiracy where none exists.

You've made assumptions about me--incorrect assumptions. Contrary to what you believe, I don't have one foot in the grave. There is much joy in my life--in fact, I am very thankful for the life that I have. I owe a lot of my joy to my faith--my Catholic faith.

I get it, John. You don't want to be a Catholic. Whatever. Just go to another church. As far as your wish for excommunication, it's probably not going to happen. If you pester the AOD, you might get a letter stating you're not a member of any AOD parish, but I don't believe they're going to go through the actual excommunication process for you.

You see John, your grievances could have been handled in a different manner. Trumpeting to the world that you don't wish to be counted as a Catholic is "your way", I get it. The only problem is, many of us saw through your attention-getting ploy. That's just not something well-adjusted grownups do.

I don't know where to start with this, so I'll just say the least I can to avoid encountering your assinine preprogrammed judgement again.

IF you are baptized AND confirmed in the Catholic Church, you are counted as one until you die.

AS SOON AS anyone can prove otherwise, that is what I have come to understand.

I simply do not want to be counted in their worldwide accounting scam any longer.

Simple as that.

As for the rest of it...wow. I will bring out that note from my 7th grade teacher once more, it seems to be time to defend myself again.

If I remember correctly, you were the one who had the most difficult time with me turning late-night red lights into four-way stops. You couldn't get it through your head that it did NOT equate with 'blowing through them'. LOL.

Sincerely,
    John J. Gannon
    ex-Catholic just wantin' it to be official

Gannon, I can understand your position. While i was kept constantly reminded by my Protestant family of the "evils" of the RC church while growing up, i have developed a respect for the institution.

This is mostly a "feel good" exercise for you. Write a polite, decent, and non-accusatory letter to the church where you were concerned saying that you "resign" from the faith and wish no more communication with the RC church or any of its clergy or adherents.

DetroitDad Guest

Yes, let's all sit and psycho analyze Running with Scissors, in a pieced together family that could unravel at any moment.

Case in point, I'm curious why this poster feels the need to strike out at this other poster. She, seems to be proud of her age, wearing it on her shirt sleeve like a medal of honor, and then at the same time, writing off the significance of age, by attacking Mr. Gannon here. They say age brings wisdom, so where is the wisdom in this pair?

I have a confession to make, if I seem distracted, I am. I'm multi-tasking, the T.V. is on.

I am quickly learning the adaptation of tending to overlook what people say, and look at what people do. Japan is in ruins, and a civil war rages in the Middle East, their elders in both regions are stepping up to the table to take sacrifice and more. In Michigan our elders are sitting around arguing, wasting time, and looking for others to ridicule.

LodgeDodger, why do you waste your years with preconceived judgments about what Gannon needs to do with his? He does what he does for a reason that you probably aren't qualified to judge. As a matter of fact, what makes you think you have the authority to judge anyone, and now? For remember, even God saves the judging for the end of days,

Maybe, if you really have no problems in your own life, that you have the time to worry about other's shortcomings, you can lead him as leaders do, by setting an example with yourself. How has your own life's path treated you LodgeDodger? Have you felt the need or urge to attention seek, maybe through bragging rights, or maybe through hypocritically keep the spyglass on the other person's page? I'm sure someone will give you a "well said" for standing out and attacking Gannon.

PS: Whatever happened to your :::HUGS::: trademark, Lodge Dodger? Justin, sing the chorus; where is the love?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; March-20-11 at 03:27 PM. Reason: link added

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I have a confession to make, if I seem distracted, I am. Im multi-tasking, the T.V. is on.
    I bet you are distracted by bright and shiny objects too. Maybe even squirrels. Or passing automobiles.
    Last edited by Vox; March-20-11 at 06:10 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I bet you are distracted by bright and shiny objects too. Maybe even squirrels. Or passing automobiles.
    No, but I was by this garbage flinging post.

Good show! keep 'em comin' ol' chap!

Tell them you just got a phone call from Salt Lake City.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast