Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Sorta both. The only place that I really ever witnessed looting was at Woodstock '99 which was pretty much all white people. When the riot/looting happened people were looting the semi with the bottled water and food in it mostly.
    So was that capitalism gone amok or just poor upbringing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why do people try so hard not to acknowledge what has already been observed by multiple sources? http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feat...rsy/index.html
    At the end of the day, different people displaying the same behavior were portrayed in totally different lights by the news coverage.
    Detroitnerd doesn't necessarily address issues in a politically correct or sensative manner, but I'm not seeing a lack of validity in his statements.
    Yes, I remember those Katrina stories too, so I got D-nerd's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why do people try so hard not to acknowledge what has already been observed by multiple sources? http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feat...rsy/index.html
    At the end of the day, different people displaying the same behavior were portrayed in totally different lights by the news coverage.
    Detroitnerd doesn't necessarily address issues in a politically correct or sensative manner, but I'm not seeing a lack of validity in his statements.
    The disparity in reporting has been well documented and is true. Unfortunately, the way Nerd writes, the message comes across as sarcastic and insincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    The disparity in reporting has been well documented and is true. Unfortunately, the way Nerd writes, the message comes across as sarcastic and insincere.
    I thought I was pretty clear, but I'll try harder. Anyway, thanks for getting the point anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I thought I was pretty clear, but I'll try harder. Anyway, thanks for getting the point anyway...
    I got the point because I've been around long enough to know your sense of humor, but some of the newbies probably were confused.

Just my own little FYI, for what it's worth!

Detroitnerd sez...." Hey, I'm just saying, when black people take stuff out of stores, it's looting.When nonblack people take stuff out of stores, It's because they're going to pay for it later."

What about if white people take stuff out the stores, would it be looting, too?" YES! so will the Mexican/Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, Jews, East Indians etc... You all see it all on TV or in real life in U.S. Urban cities. For example:

In Detroit when the 1967 riot happen it's not just blacks who were looting businesses there where white folks, too. In the matter of fact there were several reports of looting by white folks in their own Detroit neighborhoods around Mack and Alter Rd. On Grand River from Livernois to Old Reford commercial district. A couple of white folks even burn down a local store on Six Mile Rd and Grand River Ave. This source came from WXYZ Channel 7 News when they send reporters deep into riot torn areas in Detroit day and night.

In Los Angeles when the Rodney King Riots of 1992 happen. Not just blacks looting the area, there were Mexicans, Koreans and other Asian people too.

Where white folks who loot stores and homes think when they going to pay for the mess they make? NO they would be arrested and neither whould blacks, Mexicans, Asians and others, too. So be careful where you play race cards, some folk will beat you up with a full deck.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Be ethical for Neda's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroitnerd sez...." Hey, I'm just saying, when black people take stuff out of stores, it's looting.When nonblack people take stuff out of stores, It's because they're going to pay for it later."
    Sorry, Danny. I guess I should have been very clear that I was trying to make a joke. I appreciate your sincerity, but I'm really trying to poke fun at WHITE PEOPLE'S PERCEPTIONS OF WHO'S LOOTING AND WHO'S NOT, not to play race cards. Please understand me.

For Neda's sake...

"Why is there no looting in Japan?" That's an easy one: They're not colored. Oops, I forgot they're yellow. Could be something else??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDn2DP2gTk

Video of children looting in Japan! [[And as D-nerd predicted- it's not being called looting.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhDn2DP2gTk

Video of children looting in Japan! [[And as D-nerd predicted- it's not being called looting.)
    I fail to see how young children volunteers who collect food and distribute it to those who need it would be considered looters. What are you talking about? I also don't see these kids grabbing electronics and alcohol. Did you even watch the freaking video?

These Japanese youth have taken it upon themselves to work for several hours a day as volunteers to support their fellow citizens. You imply that they are looting. Shame on you... It really seems like people in America have no idea about how serious of a disaster this really is.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I fail to see how young children volunteers who collect food and distribute it to those who need it would be considered looters. What are you talking about? I also don't see these kids grabbing electronics and alcohol. Did you even watch the freaking video?

These Japanese youth have taken it upon themselves to work for several hours a day as volunteers to support their fellow citizens. You imply that they are looting. Shame on you... It really seems like people in America have no idea about how serious of a disaster this really is.

Did you read this whole thread? We were discussing what gets called looting and what doesn't. People were accused of "looting" grocery stores after Hurricane Katrina. It means taking things from stores/homes that aren't yours, it is not limited to electronics or alcohol. So technically what those boys in the video were doing was looting, but it wasn't called that. Personally, I don't think it is bad if people are trying to survive in a time of crisis so you can skip the "shame on me" stuff.
    Last edited by Pam; March-20-11 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Did you read this whole thread? We were discussing what gets called looting and what doesn't. People were accused of "looting" grocery stores after Hurricane Katrina. It means taking things from stores/homes that aren't yours, it is not limited to electronics or alcohol. So technically what those boys in the video were doing was looting, but it wasn't called that. Personally, I don't think it is bad if people are trying to survive in a time of crisis so you can skip the "shame on me" stuff.
    It doesn't even say that they are "taking" anything from anywhere. It says that they are gathering food... and they are in volunteer staff uniform. The fact that such a stupid, irrelevant argument was brought up in the first place is this thread is bothersome... and there was a lot of actual "looting" going on after Katrina, and it had little to do with getting things out of necessity. I'm from down south, I was in the area when it happened, many of my friends stayed in NO during the disaster, I know what happened... and what the news was describing as looting after Katrina was referring mainly to people stealing things from undestructed stores that they did not even need. These kids are basically, from what I can see, gathering food [[without looting or stealing) and delivering it to people [[like elderly people that havent eaten normal meals for days.) So, to compare this type of behavior to what happened during Katrina is ridiculous. This is much, much bigger and to say otherwise is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    It doesn't even say that they are "taking" anything from anywhere. It says that they are gathering food... and they are in volunteer staff uniform. The fact that such a stupid, irrelevant argument was brought up in the first place is this thread is bothersome... and there was a lot of actual "looting" going on after Katrina, and it had little to do with getting things out of necessity. I'm from down south, I was in the area when it happened, many of my friends stayed in NO during the disaster, I know what happened... and what the news was describing as looting after Katrina was referring mainly to people stealing things from undestructed stores that they did not even need. These kids are basically, from what I can see, gathering food [[without looting or stealing) and delivering it to people [[like elderly people that havent eaten normal meals for days.) So, to compare this type of behavior to what happened during Katrina is ridiculous. This is much, much bigger and to say otherwise is insulting.
    Read the link Kevgoblue posted above and you will understand what we were talking about.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Simple.

When nonblack people go into a store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's only because they need to survive.

When black people go intoa store to take things in the wake of an emergency, it's ALWAYS LOOTING.

And, since there are so few black people in Japan, that would mean there would be ALMOST NO LOOTING.
    You can't loot essentials needed to survive through a disaster. Looting is the stealing or plundering of non-essential luxury items [[like an LCD TV). Scavenging refers to the taking of essential supplies [[food, water, etc.) needed for survival. In many places, scavenging is viewed as acceptable in certain situations.

While it doesn't excuse looting this may explain it. The United States has one of the highest levels of income inequality in the developed world, with the top 400 households raking in more money that the bottom 60 percent combined.

So if you look at the inner cities which for the most part are poor and black and then have a natural disaster in the area you have a recipe for the type of stuff that happen in N.O. where people see a opportunity not only to survive but in a perverse way improve there lot in life.

This is a little off topic, but amazing, at least where I live. A six day road repair.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...destroyed.html

NPR decided to take a look at this topic too. They think the reason is culturally based.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/31/134996...little-looting

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Funny people those Japanese...

They seem so timid and helpful.... but in other ways they are such an enigma.... still haven't fessed up to the atrocities of WWII... their schoolbooks are virtually mum on the subject. ......

Even a week after the peace treaty was signed on the USS Missouri... the Japanese were murdering leftover American POWs [[especially those used for "Mengele" type medical experiments) still found on the Japanese mainland.

Yes the Japanese are a polite and friendly people.... still hiding a dark and foreboding past.... not quite so honorable, if you ask me....
    Read the recent book "Unbroken" to get a first-hand account of Japanese atrocities against Allied POWs, it's sickening.

However, to answer the question "Why is there no looting in Japan" following the tsunami, the answer is simple. Looting tends to be a young person's game and the demographics in Japan, particularly in the rural areas and small towns, means that there is a preponderance of the elderly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2