Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Unlike St. Jude, Grotto did have Brownie and Girl Scouts. It was a different time--girls in my family were expected to stay home. In an Italian family, boys were free to run as they pleased.

I also wanted to take tap dancing--same answer from Mom. ;-)
    That's sad. I'll let you borrow my GS pocket knife sometime if you want.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    That's sad. I'll let you borrow my GS pocket knife sometime if you want.
    Thank you, my Dearie. That's just the way it was. I'm happy times have changed. *hug*

Troop 194 - St. Cecilia's

Default Detroit Scouting Memories

Eagle Scout Troop 129 at Wayne Elementary, January 1977. Summer Camp Staff at D-A, and Charles Howell.

Thank you Mr. Offerman, Mr. Koreen, Mr. Fisher, Mr. Hubel for molding and guiding me.

Pack 512, Troop 512, Post 512 at Divinity Lutheran on Springwells.

Pack 272 Carstens Elementary
    Troop 445, Eagle Scout 1963, Reformation Lutheran Church at SE corner of Vernor and Lakeview.
    Had the best adult leaders that created a quality program. Charles Bloch, Ken MacNichols, Carlo Magree, Jack Best, Arnie Ozment and many others that cared about the community.

Some memories make me laugh. Just un packed and repacked my Girl Scout stuff. Was a Bluebird too. Mostly stuck with it cause it made my Mom happy. My Cadet troop were mostly sluts getting out of the house and crawling out church bathroom windows to hang with their boyfriends, Mom never heard those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Some memories make me laugh. Just un packed and repacked my Girl Scout stuff. Was a Bluebird too.
    OK, I wanted to be a Bluebird sooooo bad! I remember the ad in the Sunday funnies back in the early 1980s. Didn't really hear much more about them after that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Probably not the best thread to tell this story, but the timing is perfect.
    I have 2 daughters in the Brownies and they both sell the cookies. On Saturday we sold cookies at Kmart for the 2nd time and and now we are finally sold out. Yesterday I go to Kroger to pick some groceries and I notice a cookie booth. As I walk up I notice nobody around, since its cold I figured they were inside getting warmed up. When I walk in the store I notice some clerks comforting some ladies who are mothers of Girls Scouts. It turns out the Girls Scouts were robbed of their money.
    Sad sad sad
    All I can say is I'm hoping that ^&*[[) gets paid back in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderinglady View Post
    I was a Girl Scout too! We kept the boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the unheated den of our house. We would all pile up in our Scout leader's station wagon [[pre-seatbelt law days) to go places, including Camp Metamora one weekend. I went to Camp Innisfree one summer as well. My biggest memory of Camp Innisfree was hearing about Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance on the radio in my tent. One of my tent-mates began crying because Hoffa was a friend of her family.
    BTW, my troop was at Outer Drive Faith Lutheran Church. Really convenient, as it was right behind my house!

Old number newly revised troop #213. Cadiuex & Linville. We never got too big.....maybe 15 max? Because of our Scoutmasters past affiliations, we joined up with #198 from State Fair-John R area. Chas. Howell Plainsman cabin 1961 & 1962.

After that is was #278 HWds. Beacon School Or was that 273?? D-Bar-A '63 & '64. Tent site.
    Life

I was a Brownie. I was in my Brownie uniform when my mom told me John Lennon had died.
    My Brownie troop was out of Huntington Elementary in Riverview.
    I cant remember the Troop number though

I remember doing very very well with cookie sales... my mom worked for a large Downtown law firm Butzel, Keiden et al and my dad was a supervisor at Great Lakes Steel, I sold over a thousand dollars worth of cookies between those two one year

Back in the 60's I was a Girl Scout for a couple weeks I think. Our troop met at St. Luke's on Friday's. For reasons I can't recall, the lady that was our troop leader either quit and didn't have the time or want to be bothered or became ill and couldn't continue. I'm not really sure. Nobody volunteered or was appointed by the Metro Council to take her place. I was so disappointed. I remember going to Hudson's downtown with my mother to buy my uniform,[[ dress, hat, sash, handbook, wallet, belt, etc.) If anybody remembers Hudson's sold Girl Scout uniforms and accessories. Boy Scouts too I would guess. I had no brothers. Oh and by the way, cookies were .50 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Some memories make me laugh. Just un packed and repacked my Girl Scout stuff. Was a Bluebird too. Mostly stuck with it cause it made my Mom happy. My Cadet troop were mostly sluts getting out of the house and crawling out church bathroom windows to hang with their boyfriends, Mom never heard those stories.
    Bluebirds weren't part of Girl Scouting; they were Campfire. Did you switch from Campfire to Girl Scouts after you aged out of Bluebirds?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2