Hello all...my name is Paul...long time lurker, relatively new poster. I currently reside in South Carolina, but was born, raised and spent most of my years in metro Detroit.

My girlfriend and I [[we're both in our mid 40's + -) have talked about relocating to Detroit for several years now...we've visited Detroit frequently and she and I absolutely love and believe in the city! We've investigated many of the neighborhoods mentioned here on Dyes, either by way of the net or in person on one of our many visits. One place we've become totally enamoured by is EEV.
Heres the rub...its one of the only places we haven't seen/investigated in person.
We've visited the EEV website, read the newsletters, read threads from DYES and even city-data. For many reasons, EEV seems to be the right fit for us at this point in our lives [[AWESOME neighborhood association, beautiful - well built homes/architecture, close to shopping, bikeability to nearby stores/bars/resturants and of course...the prices!) We hoped to be closer to downtown and enjoy a more walkable lifestyle, but would seemingly have to pay quite alot more for the pleasure [[or live in an area that might not have the stability/amenities of EEV.)

My question[[s) are especially to anyone who actually lives in EEV or is intimately familiar with the neighborhood.
1) What is the best/worst thing about living in EEV?
2) Has the "uptick" in crime that was discussed earlier on Dyes come to EEV...and can you quantify in any meaningful way how good or bad crime in the area is?
3) How long does it take to get to downtown and is it bikeable?
4) Are there some good neighborhood bars/resturants in the area?
5) Are abandoned/forclosed properties numerous, sporadic or somewhere in between?
6) For those who live there, would you do it all again if given the chance...or...say HELL NO!!!
7) For someone looking to live in the city, get involved and "feel" a part of the city and its struggles to improve, would this neighborhood be a good fit?

I'm sorry to impose with so many questions, and certainly don't expect anyone to take the time to answer each and every one, but if some of you in the area could take a shot at one or two, I would truely be grateful! And please don't feel confined by the questions...tell me ANYTHING [[pro or con) about the neighborhood...I really want to learn as much as possible.

My girlfriend and I are going to be coming up for a visit sometime during the first 2 weeks of April. We have 4 houses in the neighborhood that we're intrested in and plan to spend the better part of the week exploring the community and surrounding areas. I plan to share all of your feedback...well...actually the thread itself... with my girlfriend when everyone weighs in.

A heart-felt THANKS to anyone/everyone who has anything to offer on the subject of EEV...your time and assistance is most appreciated!!!

Sincerely,
Paul