I was just on a Smart bus and was told about an 'unwritten' policy by the driver. Sometimes I drive to the market. Sometimes I take Smart[[or DDOT if I need to go into the city). Whether in the car or on the bus I take one of those portable grocery carts,or as a friend dubbed them "The Granny Grocery Getter". Having the cart makes it convienant when I'm taking packages into the house. If I have the car,all I need do is load the cart once and take my things upstairs. This saves me from making multiple trips up or leaving things in the car. If I'm on the bus the cart saves my arms from giving out while trying to carry them to the bus stop. It's also very handy for chores around the house. Anyway,today I get on the Smart @10&Van Dyke with the cart[[as I've done numerous times since Nov '11). I say hello to the driver. Instead of a "hello" he told me,rather gruffly that Smart has changed it's policy regarding carts like mine. He says the carts have to be able to fold during the ride and cannot block the aisle or door. Valid points that I can understand. I asked him where on the bus was that policy posted or where on the website could I find it. He said it wasn't posted on the buses or the website. He then went on to warn me that on busier routes than the 10mile a driver might refuse a person transport if they had a cart with groceries,or other items,that prevent the cart from folding flat.
Now I can see the reasoning behind the policy but two things bother me about it.
First,it should be clearly posted[[I pointed that out to the driver btw) both on the Smart website and on the coaches for riders to see. Secondly if I or anyone else has one of these GGGs and can move to the rear of the coach or angle it in such a way that it's not an obstacle to other riders what's the big deal? What will those who don't have cars[[or family&friends to catch rides with)do for transport to the market or other errands?
Sorry I went on&on but that's it. That's my contribution to the "Unwritten policy" thread.