Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

Detroitnerd, Why don't you ask the Veteran of WW2 what seeing a person driving a Toyota means to him.

GUSHI Guest

Modern day Turkey is whats left of the Ottman Empire

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Were in the United States and people are free to do almost anything they want, with out breaking the law. When you see a symbol/flag its gonna have a different meaning then to me, u, someone else.
    That's cool. So then I'll take your advice and fly the swastika on Flag Day. Because then it just means what I think it means. And I think it means ROCK AND ROLL, MAN! Who doesn't like rock and roll? Why, anybody opposed to my Nazi flag would just be ... downright ... un-American!

GUSHI Guest

I'm saying your free to do that if you wish.

I'm not black, and my father's parents didn't immigrate until well after the civil war [[my Mom's family had been in Pennsylvania for some time by that point), but I was raised in the North, and in my mind the Confederate battle flag is a symbol of the rebellion of the southern slaveholders. Period. It's exactly analogous to the Nazi flag. It's probably correct that the flag these days is seen as a "country" symbol, but that's a sign of the failure of the schools to teach these things.

Look, you're perfectly free to put a Confederate flag decal on the back of your pickup, or fly one in front of your house, or hang one as a backdrop at your concert, but I'm also free to draw the conclusion that you're probably a racist a**hole.

GUSHI Guest

I'm not in the favor of the Confederate flag or the swastika. But I am in favor of constitution and are freedom's. I don't think Kid Rock is a racist.

According to a bio on KR ...."Rock later became part of the Straight From The Underground Tour, where he found himself alongside several heavyweights of rap including Ice Cube, Too Short, D-Nice, Mac Dre, and Yo-Yo."

I wonder if he used the rebel flag as a backdrop on that tour. Surely Ice Cube and the rest of the African-American rappers wouldn't have found it offensive!

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I'm not black, and my father's parents didn't immigrate until well after the civil war [[my Mom's family had been in Pennsylvania for some time by that point), but I was raised in the North, and in my mind the Confederate battle flag is a symbol of the rebellion of the southern slaveholders. Period. It's exactly analogous to the Nazi flag. It's probably correct that the flag these days is seen as a "country" symbol, but that's a sign of the failure of the schools to teach these things.

Look, you're perfectly free to put a Confederate flag decal on the back of your pickup, or fly one in front of your house, or hang one as a backdrop at your concert, but I'm also free to draw the conclusion that you're probably a racist a**hole.
    I can almost guarantee that with along with the Confederate flag on the house, you will also find someone with little or no education inside that house, and some major appliances on the front lawn.

God this thread has taken some strange twists and turns.... let's straighten out a few things about symbols....

The Swastika was an ancient Roman and Native American [[mutually exclusive) symbol, just Hitler tainted it forever with his lunacy.... ironically the Roman Fasces and Imperial Eagle [[both also later symbols of Naziism) were spared this taint.

As for the Moslem symbol.... yes the crescent moon does NOT date to the Umayyad Moorish Spain.... but much of the rest of the Muslim world did EVENTUALLY include the crescent moon and star as their symbol, and it is has expanded its' use throught Islam.

Interestingly enough Germany, Austria and Hungary today use the crescent as a symbol of victory over Islam, in a benign sort of way. After the failure of the Turks to capture Vienna in the siege of 1683, they were nearly driven out of much of the Balkans. After the siege, in celebration a Viennese baker came up with the "Kipferl" a crescent shaped roll [[and sometimes pastry)... that symbolizes the triumph of Europe over the Turks... and to this day the Kipferl is a central European delicacy that memorializes this triumph.

Now getting back on track to Kid Rock.... I-69 is the new M-59... so yes Kid Rock is from metro Detroit. It gets tiresome when people here bitch about how folks like Diana Ross or Madonna don't acknowledge their Detroit roots... but then piss and moan about Kid Rock being an interloper... geeze people... you can't have it both ways!! 8 Mile Road is only a road... its' connotation and demarcation that CAY and Eminem used as our own Mason-Dixon line is no longer applicable.

Now that said... yes the Confederate flag does not help Kid Rock's cause, so if they don't want him at the NAACP function then so be it. But making this a petty squabble is rather silly.

GUSHI Guest

"Interestingly enough Germany, Austria and Hungary today use the crescent as a symbol of victory over Islam, in a benign sort of way. After the failure of the Turks to capture Vienna in the siege of 1683, they were nearly driven out of much of the Balkans. After the siege, in celebration a Viennese baker came up with the "Kipferl" a crescent shaped roll [[and sometimes pastry)... that symbolizes the triumph of Europe over the Turks... and to this day the Kipferl is a central European delicacy that memorializes this triumph"

ALBANIA GOT ITS INDEPENDENCE IN 1912

KOSOVO GOT ITS INDEPENDENCE IN 1999

And the point of all this is.....??

GUSHI Guest

The Ottamans were in the Balkans until 1912.

GUSHI Guest

Ottomans***

Ummmm.... this is getting way off topic...

No one said the exit of the Ottoman Turks happened overnight.... part of Turkey is today still in Europe [[Istanbul and envons)... Whatever...
    Last edited by Gistok; March-04-11 at 07:23 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Not all Albanians , Bosnians or Bulgarins are muslim, and who the fuck is saying that they are Ottomans..

GUSHI Guest

<~~~speaking to a Catholic Albanian. So slow your role.

GUSHI Guest

And being in Michigan most of Albanians here are Roman Catholic, Alot of Serbs are Orthodox from Bosian. 82 % of Bulguria is orthodox

GUSHI Guest

But then most Americans think Albania is in the mideast. Sorry to get off topic.

The Confederate flag is just as controversial as the n-word these days. Lots of argument about who gets to fly it/say it; lots of historical baggage. I'd just as soon avoid both, but others' mileage seems to vary.

I doubt I'd share much in common with a neo-Confederate, but as long as they're not for rolling back amendments, re-segregating the nation, or re-enslaving anyone, I really don't care much about what they do.

And I'm sorry, but the NAACP of today is a shadow of its former self. It is certainly not the organization that it was during the first three-quarters of the twentieth century any longer.

Some people apparently don't know why the confederacy even existed, and it has NOTHING to do with slavery or the oppression of black people.

The only conclusion we can come to from Kid Rock bolstering the Confederate Flag around is that he's a huge proponent of states rights, just like the confederates were. We know Kid Rock isn't a racist, so lot of this is being blown out of proportion, and it is likely because many people are poorly educated on what all transpired during the civil war. GUSHI is correct when he says he and other people do have a right to wave these flags, just as I see people waving or wearing the Mexican and African flags. Is the history behind some of these flags and symbols rough and will people be offended? Sure, but that doesn't mean we can take away their right to freely express themselves.

That said, the story behind Kid Rock's award doesn't add up. What significant thing did he do that helped the advancement of African Americans? Yes, I'm sure he's invested money in Detroit which just so happens to be a majority black city, but what has he done to help the African American race as a whole?

Some people apparently don't know why the confederacy even existed, and it has NOTHING to do with slavery or the oppression of black people.

The only conclusion we can come to from Kid Rock bolstering the Confederate Flag around is that he's a huge proponent of states rights, just like the confederates were
    The reason they wanted states' rights was to continue slavery.

True story......years ago when I was living the Bay Area, I was at this bar on Murphy Ave. in Sunnyvale, CA and because smoking was banned in the bar everyone on the second floor had to smoke on the porch so I was smoking a "square" and there was this girl who was from outside the United States and she had on a shirt with the "stars and bars" on the front. I asked her if she knew what what the flag symbolized and of course she had no idea. Other people noticed her shirt and started whispering to themselves. I told her not to walk past the Black bar down the street wearing that shirt.

Kid Rock saying that the flag represented Southern Rock and Roll was bullshit. The Confederate flag represented "rebellion" Rebellion from a nation who is viewed as a interloper telling states they can no longer have slaves. [[this is where states' rights come from) The Confederate flag when used is the same as giving the bird and people frown on people displaying the flag because they know what their intentions are. Back to Kid Rock. He was pandering to his audience. He would never display that flag in Detroit but in Alabama, hell yeah the flag goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The reason they wanted states' rights was to continue slavery.

Nope, they just felt the federal governemnt under Lincoln's administration was overstepping its bounds [[with taxes and regulations). The slaves just happened to be one of the commodities they wanted the federal government to keep its hands off of. There wasn't an issue however from either side with slavery itself, other than to manipulate them to gain political control.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Nope, they just felt the federal governemnt under Lincoln's administration was overstepping its bounds [[with taxes and regulations). The slaves just happened to be one of the commodities they wanted the federal government to keep its hands off of. There wasn't an issue however from either side with slavery itself, other than to manipulate them to gain political control.
    I'm going to have disagree with you on your explanation of taxes and regulations.

Which of the following do you think would be most costly to plantation owners in 1860?
    a) paying higher taxes and more regulations
    b) watching free labor walk off the plantations

Sure there were other reasons besides slavery that led to war but southern plantation owners fought for years to preserve their free labor and a anti-slavery president coming into the White House was something they weren't going to accept hence succession.
    Last edited by R8RBOB; March-05-11 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    so if they don't want him at the NAACP function then so be it. But making this a petty squabble is rather silly.
    Yeah, but the point is -- they [NAACP-DETROIT] do want him at their function. I guess KR gave them some big bucks & bought the honor.
    Last edited by sherryrazor; March-05-11 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast